Johnny Ticat slayer

Johnny thought scalping was illegal. It turns out that it is legal in Ontario, under certain conditions.

http://consumers.findlaw.ca/article/is-ticket-scalping-legal-in-canada/
"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

everyman

I never understood why people are so down on legit scalpers.

Most people on here believe in capitalism.
Buying goods and then taking a risk that you can re-sell them for more is certainly approved of in capitalism.

Isn't that what they are doing? Most teams don't care as long as the ticket is sold. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy from a scalper.

I'm not talking about guys that counterfeit tickets.
What is a legit scalper?
One who buys tickets and re-sells them as opposed to a guy who counterfeits.

ro1313

Johnny thought scalping was illegal. It turns out that it is legal in Ontario, under certain conditions.

http://consumers.findlaw.ca/article/is-ticket-scalping-legal-in-canada/
You have to find out the date on that.

The Hip issue triggered a lot of changes to the law

ro1313

Buying goods and then taking a risk that you can re-sell them for more is certainly approved of in capitalism.

Isn't that what they are doing? Most teams don't care as long as the ticket is sold. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy from a scalper.

What is a legit scalper?
One who buys tickets and re-sells them as opposed to a guy who counterfeits.
And that is illegal most places in Canada so its not legit

My problem is that your...'Risk taking"  screws me out of a chance to get a ticket.
Shows are sold out in minutes because of bots who grab them all and force me to pay more.   Well I wont minimize your risk

For what its worth....many music artist are fighting against scalpers

mysecondname

What is a legit scalper?
Ticketmaster
**********Owning a drone does not make one a pilot**********

ro1313

What is a legit scalper?
Ticketmaster
How so?

KevinRiley2

I've decided to buy tickets from the Ticats because I want to support the team - not some scalper.  Unfortunately, I have not heard from Ryan - he has dropped off the face of the earth so...

Hope we are still on but, sadly, Ryan is NOT an easy man to deal with - as you can well imagine.  ;)

* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Preisst

I just want to ensure this is a legit thread,  I've heard talk there is a Million Thread Troll on the forum somewhere.....
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!

DAN38

Pat, can you remember what year were you bumped out of the seats ? I think I may have known the guy who stole those tics in the first place. Now that would be serendipitous or maybe ironic or maybe.........
Argh!  Guessing it would be about 1987'ish.  lol
87 seems much later than I remember.. anyway it was my youngest brother's foolish friend who stole half of a man's season tickets. He was in his house installing a new furnace, I think. My brother and his friend came to me wanting to know what to do. I wanted nothing to do with them. I gave him some options, none of which he followed and he ended up selling most of them to a scalper before he went to the game that night. It was amazing that he never got caught. Just luck... I regularly went to Leafs games then and we watched those seats and saw quite a few people get bumped. Now some may think I should have turned this guy in but he was a scared teenager maybe 17 or 18. We all make mistakes...We used to call this guy Luciano because he was the spittin image of Pavarotti.....Thanks Pat.

Back in the day you could not buy a Leaf ticket legit. Maybe it is still the same. I refuse to pay the prices today to watch millionaires play a game I was pretty good at myself. I used to buy from scalpers. Hell, I even bought scalpers tics for Argo games at Ex stadium. Wouldn't the Argos like that situation again.

And Dave, if Ryan was the guy then Kevin would have his tickets already. ;)

Kevin, aren't there any coupons available for that game. ;D
Si vis pacem... para bellum

RiverCityFan

Scalpers need to understand their business. I live about a 5 minute walk from the old Canad Inns stadium and if I couldn't make it to a game, I would go to the stadium to find someone to take my tickets. The scalpers used to hang around the south end of the stadium near the ticket office and one asked me if I was buying or selling. The game wasn't anywhere near sold out. I told him I was giving them away and he didn't like that. I proceeded to approach a father and son in the ticket line and said here, enjoy the game. I guess over the course of a season they make their money but for a game that was probably 3,000 seats short of a sellout, they have to take a loss.

everyman

There are different definitions and names attached to scalping.

In many cities there are businesses' set up to buy back unwanted tickets in hopes of re-selling them. They buy back season ticket holders seats when they can't attend at a reduced price and are taking a risk that they can sell them. I have purchased tix for a concert two months in advance. Then 3 days before the concert I found I couldn't go. I sold them at a discount to them. The concert was a hot event and I'm sure they made out well re-selling those tix to people wanting to attend the sold out event. Call them re-sellers if you want. Call them scalpers if you'd like. But they provide a service in my books.

They also purchase the max amount of tix allowed for an event well in advance having decided that these will be in demand for those wanting to attend after event is sold out.

These businesses' are scalpers if you want to use this term.

mysecondname

Scalpers need to understand their business. I live about a 5 minute walk from the old Canad Inns stadium and if I couldn't make it to a game, I would go to the stadium to find someone to take my tickets. The scalpers used to hang around the south end of the stadium near the ticket office and one asked me if I was buying or selling. The game wasn't anywhere near sold out. I told him I was giving them away and he didn't like that. I proceeded to approach a father and son in the ticket line and said here, enjoy the game. I guess over the course of a season they make their money but for a game that was probably 3,000 seats short of a sellout, they have to take a loss.
*3 points, 1 related to your comment

1. "Scalper" is simply a slang term, not a legal term.

2. many street "ticket resellers" can, and often do, earn more when the attendance is not near capacity. ("walk up" demand is a big factor.)

3. If anybody wants to see a legit scalper in action watch "The Liquidator" show on television.

KevinRiley2

Pat, can you remember what year were you bumped out of the seats ? I think I may have known the guy who stole those tics in the first place. Now that would be serendipitous or maybe ironic or maybe.........
Argh!  Guessing it would be about 1987'ish.  lol

And Dave, if Ryan was the guy then Kevin would have his tickets already. ;)

Kevin, aren't there any coupons available for that game. ;D
Re : "And Dave, if Ryan was the guy then Kevin would have his tickets already. ;)"

Ryan got a pair of GREAT tickets (FREE) and then said, "I'm taking my mail man with the other ticket.  You buy a ticket somewhere else and try and sit by us".

I am only HALF joking.  >:(  I couldn't believe it.

Re : "Kevin, aren't there any coupons available for that game. ;D"

Don't I wish!

KevinRiley2

2. many street "ticket resellers" can, and often do, earn more when the attendance is not near capacity. ("walk up" demand is a big factor.)

3. If anybody wants to see a legit scalper in action watch "The Liquidator" show on television.
Re : "2. many street "ticket resellers" can, and often do, earn more when the attendance is not near capacity. ("walk up" demand is a big factor.)"

This is what I meant.  How does this work?

mysecondname

Re : "2. many street "ticket resellers" can, and often do, earn more when the attendance is not near capacity. ("walk up" demand is a big factor.)"

This is what I meant.  How does this work?
It's no secret in the world of sales, Kevin. Buy low, (barter a price that leaves room for profit) sell higher. (supply, demand and competition dictates how much higher). All you need to do is interest a party before they get to the box office line. Great buys are often made from motivated sellers such as group purchasers who never distributed all they bought.

Users Online

89 Guests, 21 Users (18 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ExPat, FootbalYouBet, letsgoticats, KevinRiley2, Obrigardo, brianjoxx, Lyle B. Style, GOTC1, PTBO Dave, batkinson001, Sidney, Niagara Als, CFLFansInToronto, FormerlyTurkish, FenderGuy69, drummer_god, brihind88, Taleback, VICIOUSCIRCLE, TeddyFay, Yahoo!, Google (16), Baidu

Most Online Today: 152. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)