KevinRiley2

Next Saturday, I am going to the Ticat game.  I was considering buying tickets off those guys on the street.  I don't think they are "scalpers", in the purest definition of the word, because aren't they out there on behest of the team?

Who are those guys and are they working on behalf of the team?
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

sully

Caretaker is pretty wily and liable to come up with some pretty interesting sales tactics, but I suspect that they're not out there representing the team. :) 

I used to work on Bay Street across from the Air Canada Centre for years, and yet somehow never actually asked what the cost of a ticket was. Is it totally jacked sky-high or a fairly reasonable markup? Have you chatted with a scalper before?
I'm the Director of Media Technology for the Canadian Football League. Got technology concerns/ideas for the league? E-mail me at ssyed@cfl.ca and we'll talk.

TravelPat1

Just a warning on buying tickets on the street. Since many tickets these days are printed at home unscrupulous people can easily make multiple copies of their tickets. Not so much at THF but at both Rogers Centre and the ACC I've a couple of times seen people turned away at the gate when their tickets were scanned because somebody else had already been scanned into the venue with the same ticket. 

And once years ago when we bought tickets to a Leafs game at Maple Leaf Gardens on the street. Good seats near the blue line about 20 rows from the ice.  A couple of minutes into the game the usher pulled us aside when  the real season ticket holder for those seats showed up. Apparently his seson tickets had been stolen in a home robbery and somebody was selling those seats out on the street before every game.  They did not kick us out of the arena but we did have to move to standing room with a lousy view. 

So buying from scalpers on the street - buyer beware.  

DAN38

Wait till the game is almost started or has started. Many time you can get tickets for less than face value.
Grey Cup 92 at Skydump. Scalpers were trying to sell tics for 10 bucks once game had started. Only 45,000 in the seats. Some guys got burned bad.

Pat, can you remember what year were you bumped out of the seats ? I think I may have known the guy who stole those tics in the first place. Now that would be serendipitous or maybe ironic or maybe.........
Si vis pacem... para bellum

ro1313

Wait till the game is almost started or has started. Many time you can get tickets for less than face value.
  I still wont buy them from a scalper 

I would pay more for the same seat if it means he loses his shirt

mysecondname

LOL The regular street ticket reseller would not be out there if he was losing his shirt. It takes both a buyer and a seller to create the market and there are always those looking for a deal so I don't hesitate to believe that your refusal to purchase from these people will have any real effect on their clothing. 
**********Owning a drone does not make one a pilot**********

everyman

I never understood why people are so down on legit scalpers.

Most people on here believe in capitalism.
Buying goods and then taking a risk that you can re-sell them for more is certainly approved of in capitalism.

Isn't that what they are doing? Most teams don't care as long as the ticket is sold. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy from a scalper.

I'm not talking about guys that counterfeit tickets.

PTBO Dave

Pat, can you remember what year were you bumped out of the seats ? I think I may have known the guy who stole those tics in the first place. Now that would be serendipitous or maybe ironic or maybe.........
It was Ryan, wasn't it?   ;D

jaybird24

I never understood why people are so down on legit scalpers.

Most people on here believe in capitalism.
Buying goods and then taking a risk that you can re-sell them for more is certainly approved of in capitalism.

Isn't that what they are doing? Most teams don't care as long as the ticket is sold. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy from a scalper.

There was a guy we met last year outside of BMO stadium when we went to the opener against the Ticats,  he makes a full time living out of buying and selling (scalping)  tickets.
He is outside of the Rogers Centre for Jays games and at BMO for Argo/TFC games.   He bought Argo season tickets so he had the option of selling Grey Cup tickets.   I don't think he's made any money from the Argos.

RM14

Buying goods and then taking a risk that you can re-sell them for more is certainly approved of in capitalism.

There was a guy we met last year outside of BMO stadium when we went to the opener against the Ticats,  he makes a full time living out of buying and selling (scalping)  tickets.
He is outside of the Rogers Centre for Jays games and at BMO for Argo/TFC games.   He bought Argo season tickets so he had the option of selling Grey Cup tickets.   I don't think he's made any money from the Argos.
Buying and selling is like stock trading. What is the difference between a share, or a ticket? 

People buy and sell homes all the time for profit or loss. Is that called home scalping??
GO STAMPS GO

TravelPat1

Argh!  Guessing it would be about 1987'ish.  lol

danoc_86

Hey Kevin

I have had Ticat season tickets for 14 years and remember those guys since then I'm sure they are legit.... also check kijiji often find good deals like face value is 80 for a pair people selling for $50 

KevinRiley2

Hey Kevin

I have had Ticat season tickets for 14 years and remember those guys since then I'm sure they are legit.... also check kijiji often find good deals like face value is 80 for a pair people selling for $50
Thank you.

I thought they were sent out by the teams to encourage people to go the games.  I guess I was wrong.

ro1313

LOL The regular street ticket reseller would not be out there if he was losing his shirt. It takes both a buyer and a seller to create the market and there are always those looking for a deal so I don't hesitate to believe that your refusal to purchase from these people will have any real effect on their clothing.
Prob not....but buying from him does

ro1313

What is a legit scalper?

Users Online

66 Guests, 3 Users (15 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Rick16, Aqualung1, Google (15)

Most Online Today: 114. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)