rhymes with orange

BC Lions Den
@BCLionsDen

3m3 minutes ago
67% of those that participated in our recent Twitter Poll say that the #BCLions new ticket deals will entice them to either buy ST's or checkout the Lions this season. #CFL
Not to diminish his efforts or enthusiasm, Brian is one of the most passionate CFL fans and Lions boosters I know. But this poll is to be taken with a grain of salt.

Small sample size and biased participants. How many were already ST holders and supported the poll because they think it's a great deal?

That said, I am very glad to see the Lions go "all out" this year. They are promoting the heck out of the home opener vs Montreal (can you make a deal with Hamilton to acquire Johnny Football already?!?). This is the only way to do it. Blow things up and re-price. Disrupt the marketplace. The Lions need to make a splash in Vancouver as they have easily been the most overlooked team among the Big 3 (I dare say, even the Seahawks). Mediocre performance, interminably long games, and bland marketing will do that.  

rshmglsky

Next step hopefully they get rid of coaches' challenges completely. The CFL should be a fan league, not a coaches' or general managers' league.
Are you suggesting they let the fans decide calls? Maybe they could have a voting system whereby fans log in to a website with their phone and vote on how calls should be made based on video replay on the big screen.

;)
no lol

I meant not having things like negotiation lists so teams can pursue a positional weakness.

depopulationINC

Next step hopefully they get rid of coaches' challenges completely. The CFL should be a fan league, not a coaches' or general managers' league.
Are you suggesting they let the fans decide calls? Maybe they could have a voting system whereby fans log in to a website with their phone and vote on how calls should be made based on video replay on the big screen.

;)
no lol

I meant not having things like negotiation lists so teams can pursue a positional weakness.
400 protected players with probably 250-300 of them actually being in school still somehow hampers ability to find a player when there are like 65-70000 NCAA players, so 15000 finishing school annually?  So maybe 150 of 15000 is a bottleneck?  And that is those just from this year, lets look at a 4 year stint (because you really draw from those done school in the past 4-5 years) surely that maybe  0.22% of that pool of protected ex NCAA players is not as damning as you are suggesting....never mind the players from outside of the NCAA route in semi pro leagues and such.

argonaut11xx

As an Argofan stuck out on the backwards left coast, I am excited about this promotion and will attend a few extra games due to the promo.

Probably a group of 5 to each of,  the Al's game , the  Redblacks and of course the Championship Toronto Argonauts.

Wifey, Myself, and my 3 little Argofan nephews

I support L.G.B.T, Liberty Guns Beer Trump .Melting SNOWFLAKES is FUN. Trudeau is an IDIOT

EastVanMark

Too bad they let their season ticket base decay for years before they acted on it, but I guess you have to start the long road back to respectability  somewhere.

rhymes with orange

Too bad they let their season ticket base decay for years before they acted on it, but I guess you have to start the long road back to respectability  somewhere.
Completely agree. Braley, Chayka, and Skulsky had an over-inflated assessment of the value of their tickets due to all those winning seasons and consequently, kept pushing the price points northward. It finally reached a point of diminishing returns and demand collapsed. You can't charge Canuck-like prices in this market to watch guys making $50,000 a year. Sorry, you just can't.

Where they really lost was the move to Empire. They thought the $563M hole in the roof and renovations would lead to a huge upswing in ticket holders. While interest in the BC Place re-opening spiked, it was only for a game or two. Many people dropped their season tickets when the club moved to the temporary digs and just never came back.

Many of us have been calling for this for years. Better late than never...

everyman

That's quite a quick splash from their new president LeLacheur. Pretty good cross marketing if I understand it properly and understand what a"voucher" means. I find the wording in some of this release to be confusing.
Does it mean you can take your Save on Rewards Card to BC place and they will sell you a ticket for $29. Where does that ticket sit you? Endzone?

rshmglsky

;)
no lol

400 protected players with probably 250-300 of them actually being in school still somehow hampers ability to find a player when there are like 65-70000 NCAA players, so 15000 finishing school annually?  So maybe 150 of 15000 is a bottleneck?  And that is those just from this year, lets look at a 4 year stint (because you really draw from those done school in the past 4-5 years) surely that maybe  0.22% of that pool of protected ex NCAA players is not as damning as you are suggesting....never mind the players from outside of the NCAA route in semi pro leagues and such.
And what if one of those 150 players is highly coveted? Take this example: Everyone knows Montreal has a need at quarterback, but unfortunately Hamilton owns the rights to the player that could have helped them.

I understand the league wants to keep salaries down, but a cap is a cap.

I can live with the negotiation list of course. It was just an example that came to mind. Is it the coaches challenges that I really don't like.

canadianfootballfan

You used to be able to get 2 Lions tickets at 7-11 for $40.  Bought them once a few years ago, and they wern't that bad of seats either.  Corner of the field, but still better than the end zone.  This was just before the BC Place renovation.

canadianfootballfan

Back in the late 1990's then Stampeder owner Sig Guetshe offered season tickets in the entire stadium (save for the red seats) for $100.00. The season ticket base sky rocketed to over 30,000
On that note...  what if the Als went back to the Big O after the roof renovation, and sold super cheap season and individual tickets.  When they used to play the last regular season home game at the O they offered tickets as cheap as $15, and always sold 40,000+ tickets.  But for some reason...  they stopped doing this around 2008.

66,000 Montreal area game attending fans is a lot better for the CFL than the 23,000 Molson stadium holds.

Big full stadiums and cheap tickets makes the game better for everyone.  Period.

Grover

Talk about cheap tickets!!!!  :o  :o  :o

Edmonton Eskimos‏Verified account 
@EdmontonEsks

For the Sept 8th Labour Day rematch anyone 17 and under gets in free! No ticket necessary! You can also go to ticketmaster now to get your seats!
5:55 PM - 17 May 2018 from Edmonton, Alberta

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

EastVanMark

Wow!

Could the league possibly  be turning a corner with a marketing strategy that actually grows their fanbase rather than the old "lets charge NHL-like prices for tickets and then wonder why the fans aren't beating down the door to come to the stadium" approach while we grossly underpay the players?

Especially for a team like the Eskimos who have enjoyed a strong following, this moves goes to show the Eskimo organization is more worried about growing a fanbase and creating a great atmosphere for the Labour Day rematch (kinda how they did with the WILDY successful student discount for the labour day rematch years ago) rather than squeezing the existing fanbase for every last dime they can get out of them.

Hank01

I Like cheap tickets but it's bad to give away your product for free . 

It devalues your product too far . 

Not sure why a 10 dollar ticket for the Eskimos is too much money to ask for anyone whether they are under 17 or not .

Mightygoose

I agree, giving something away for free doesn't entice them to pay later. I'd like to think it's free (17 and under) for every full paying adult.

Edmonton does have a good size fan based, but in today's CFL, a 56K stadium is not needed so even good size crowds will have thousands and thousands of empty seats which is not good optics.

I'm glad some teams (BC, Edmonton and Toronto at least) are starting to get aggressive with their pricing and improve their optics.

KevinRiley2

I Like cheap tickets but it's bad to give away your product for free .

It devalues your product too far .

Not sure why a 10 dollar ticket for the Eskimos is too much money to ask for anyone whether they are under 17 or not .
Well said.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Users Online

81 Guests, 6 Users (15 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Bullfrogblues, rhymes with orange, Krisiun, ExPat, FootbalYouBet, Google (AdSense) (5), Google (10)

Most Online Today: 109. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)