Iconic SR

We’re not desperate enough to make a huge mistake. Let Moncton build their own real stadium and apply for a team if they’re serious. And no, that little stadium isn’t good enough for the CFL.
Let's be honest here: Moncton is not getting its own CFL team. This is fact. As such, there is no down side whatsoever to Moncton filling in temporarily while Halifax builds the new stadium:

1. Moncton the city and Moncton the business community gets to regularly host twenty thousand fans who will spend money on food and lodging etc. That's like having a massive national trade show in your town 8 to 10 times per year. Find me the Moncton businessperson or resident who is against that. (Hint: they don't exist)

2. The team engages a fan group that isn't in their backyard and builds interest and passion for a broader, solid ticket base.

3. The region and CFL and team experiences the actuality of what being a regional franchise means. Great learning.

4. The CFL gains a solid regional foothold in an area that otherwise is an inaccessible market.

5. The team learns via trial and error in Moncton what works and what doesn't work when it comes to the game day fan experience for their future new facility.

Trying to interpret this Moncton situation/opportunity as a negative - is like saying practicing is bad for a sports team.

OskeeweeneeVI

Exactly, Iconic

WVCFLFan

BC Lions played at a temp Stadium while their Stadium was renovated

Hamilton played a year in Guelph and a half season at McMaster while their Stadium was being built.

I see no negatives to this, only positives
Neither of those were expansion teams.  I don't understand why you'd want to start a franchise playing in a different city 3 hrs away in a temporary stadium.  
The expansion NFL Carolina Panthers (based in Charlotte, NC) played their first season in Clemson, SC (a few hours from Charlotte and home of Clemson University) while their stadium was being built. 

Hank01

That was a  good NFL example Charlotte to Clemson 2hrs 13 min. - 137 miles 

Moncton to Halifax 2hrs 44 min. - 161 miles 

Iconic SR

Regional emphasis and support works. We sit next to a season ticket holder family who live 5 hours away from Regina and have 5 season tix in the gold section. Just one example of many.

Passion defies distance.

Doing what BC or Toronto or Montreal does - doesn't work. Instead if the Schooners model the team's business plan after a highly successful regional team (aka the Saskatchewan Roughriders) - you will engage many more fans.

97valkyrie

About 20 years ago , right after the CFL held the Grey Cup, it was announced that the league may not be back the next year, it was that close to folding.  I don't ever want to hear that announcement again.  In the following years, it has slowly re-established itself in some areas stronger than others but overall a success, I would say.  The league is stronger and with the talk of expansion on the east side of the country, it is perhaps at its strongest position since the 1950's and 60's.

Moncton, had its chance with "Touchdown Atlantic" in 2010 when it sold out 20,000 then in 2011 it didn't quite sell out, short by a thousand from what  I have read then in 2013 it went down to 16,000 seating capacity and STILL did not sell out.  Obviously the novelty wore off in a short time and it was decided they wouldn't play there anymore the following years.  The same thing could happen if the Halifax Schooners decided to play a full schedule, in Moncton, only worse.  The crowds could be poor by the end of the season or worse if they can't field a competitive team right away.
      Emotionally it would be great if this idea  went off like a rocket and became a terrific success.  I say it won't happen at a business standpoint.  Reality and history, is what the owners of the Schooners are dealing with and I don't see them taking a chance on playing in a temporary stadium, for any length of time. 

I as a fan, am concerned about perception, the NFL teams don't need a bum in the seat to make money, they already do make a load of money thru TV revenue, merchandising, etc.  San Diego can't fill their stadium but they still make money, so what do they care if there are empty seats.  The CFL is a "bum in the seat" operation.  If I see "hundreds" of people in the stands instead of "thousands" on a televised game I am truly disappointed, because, I believe, it just doesn't look good to viewers who are new to the league and tuning in for the first time.  Perception, is my main argument against this whole idea.

If the league wants to play the odd exhibition or regular season game in non-CFL cities like they did in Fort McMurray, or St. John, New Brunswick,  I am OK with that, but not for a full season or two until the new stadium is built in Halifax.,

Mightygoose

If they don't add any (or many) extra seats in Moncton then I don't think the empty seats to be an issue.

Big difference between the a game between 2 teams that are not from the area and one that is representing the region.

As long as the financing of the stadium is in place and the plan is shovel ready, playing in Moncton will be a suitable start.

Iconic SR

About 20 years ago , right after the CFL held the Grey Cup, it was announced that the league may not be back the next year, it was that close to folding.  I don't ever want to hear that announcement again.  In the following years, it has slowly re-established itself in some areas stronger than others but overall a success, I would say.  The league is stronger and with the talk of expansion on the east side of the country, it is perhaps at its strongest position since the 1950's and 60's.

Moncton, had its chance with "Touchdown Atlantic" in 2010 when it sold out 20,000 then in 2011 it didn't quite sell out, short by a thousand from what  I have read then in 2013 it went down to 16,000 seating capacity and STILL did not sell out.  Obviously the novelty wore off in a short time and it was decided they wouldn't play there anymore the following years.  The same thing could happen if the Halifax Schooners decided to play a full schedule, in Moncton, only worse.  The crowds could be poor by the end of the season or worse if they can't field a competitive team right away.
      Emotionally it would be great if this idea  went off like a rocket and became a terrific success.  I say it won't happen at a business standpoint.  Reality and history, is what the owners of the Schooners are dealing with and I don't see them taking a chance on playing in a temporary stadium, for any length of time.

I as a fan, am concerned about perception, the NFL teams don't need a bum in the seat to make money, they already do make a load of money thru TV revenue, merchandising, etc.  San Diego can't fill their stadium but they still make money, so what do they care if there are empty seats.  The CFL is a "bum in the seat" operation.  If I see "hundreds" of people in the stands instead of "thousands" on a televised game I am truly disappointed, because, I believe, it just doesn't look good to viewers who are new to the league and tuning in for the first time.  Perception, is my main argument against this whole idea.

If the league wants to play the odd exhibition or regular season game in non-CFL cities like they did in Fort McMurray, or St. John, New Brunswick,  I am OK with that, but not for a full season or two until the new stadium is built in Halifax.,
The Maritimes are unique just as the Riders fan base is unique. They both can be fiercely loyal and fiercely committed. We can’t compare them to other urban centres

Bayargonaut00

About 20 years ago , right after the CFL held the Grey Cup, it was announced that the league may not be back the next year, it was that close to folding.  I don't ever want to hear that announcement again.  In the following years, it has slowly re-established itself in some areas stronger than others but overall a success, I would say.  The league is stronger and with the talk of expansion on the east side of the country, it is perhaps at its strongest position since the 1950's and 60's.

Moncton, had its chance with "Touchdown Atlantic" in 2010 when it sold out 20,000 then in 2011 it didn't quite sell out, short by a thousand from what  I have read then in 2013 it went down to 16,000 seating capacity and STILL did not sell out.  Obviously the novelty wore off in a short time and it was decided they wouldn't play there anymore the following years.  The same thing could happen if the Halifax Schooners decided to play a full schedule, in Moncton, only worse.  The crowds could be poor by the end of the season or worse if they can't field a competitive team right away.
      Emotionally it would be great if this idea  went off like a rocket and became a terrific success.  I say it won't happen at a business standpoint.  Reality and history, is what the owners of the Schooners are dealing with and I don't see them taking a chance on playing in a temporary stadium, for any length of time.

I as a fan, am concerned about perception, the NFL teams don't need a bum in the seat to make money, they already do make a load of money thru TV revenue, merchandising, etc.  San Diego can't fill their stadium but they still make money, so what do they care if there are empty seats.  The CFL is a "bum in the seat" operation.  If I see "hundreds" of people in the stands instead of "thousands" on a televised game I am truly disappointed, because, I believe, it just doesn't look good to viewers who are new to the league and tuning in for the first time.  Perception, is my main argument against this whole idea.

If the league wants to play the odd exhibition or regular season game in non-CFL cities like they did in Fort McMurray, or St. John, New Brunswick,  I am OK with that, but not for a full season or two until the new stadium is built in Halifax.,
i get where you're coming from, but any negative perception can wear off once something can establish itself on a full time basis. People have already forgotten about the blunder that US expansion was, and new fans dont really know about it. Its legacy lives on through Baltimore on the positive, Greg Bartholomew on the negative, and as a cautionary note overall.

and even though we dont know specifics about the business aspect of having a temporary setup in moncton, what it does do is add another market to/for advertisers on a full time basis. so having that extra team in another urban centre increases the exposure and hence the value of any ad-slots for tv or on field. that itself increases the the value of the league and tsn's product. a National broadcast can only go up when the exposure of the product is increased(its also why i've advocated that CFL games should be simulcast on CTV, because even with a new streaming service, Canadians still have to pay a premium for our domestic league, but we wont get into that)

Hopefully there would be some sort of clause where the addition of another team reopens some form of negotiation for the tv contract.
No finite point has meaning without an infinite reference point

Hank01

Most rabid fans here would have a problem with  metal benches in the end zone to watch a game . I probably would say no .

When most of your inventory is this style set up ; I see the announced crowds in Moncton as a big answer as to support in the area for the CFL . It was good .

The Moncton series in my eyes was a huge success for the amenities and seating arrangement . 

If they offer tickets at a reasonable price point that optimums value for the customer but also offers a proper return to the owner they should have no problems having good crowds in Moncton .

About 15,000 would be a good number . You can always add more if inventory is easily sold out .

RBFan2014

The Green Bay Packers used to play a game or two a season in Milwaukee, now they are one of the most successful franchises in the NFL. This is a great comparison considering Green Bay is such a small market. 

ToppsCFL

The Green Bay Packers used to play a game or two a season in Milwaukee, now they are one of the most successful franchises in the NFL. This is a great comparison considering Green Bay is such a small market.
Wisconsin has 6 million people. They stopped regular season games in Milwaukee 24 years ago as they were no longer needed with the renovations to Lambeau field (and their on field success in the Favre years).

I think it's a great idea to have a training camp/preseason game in Moncton every year.  I also think that a season in Moncton (2019 hopefully) would really build the New Brunswick/PEI fan base that is needed. 

OskeeweeneeVI

I know it's not important, but the Packers used to play 3 games a year in Milwaukee.

prairiewolf77

I don't see negatives of trying to expand interest and support for a possible future team that is going to depend on the entire region to survive.

Yes, opening in Halifax is ideal, but if they start in Moncton and then Halifax they get to celebrate the new team twice.

For future, holding training camps in Moncton, similar to what the Riders do with Saskatoon, will help solidify the teams involvement in the regional community.

Maybe they even hold every 4/5 training camps in Moncton, and then hold 1 every once in awhile in Newfoundland or PEI.

c-way-dude

Most rabid fans here would have a problem with  metal benches in the end zone to watch a game . I probably would say no .

When most of your inventory is this style set up ; I see the announced crowds in Moncton as a big answer as to support in the area for the CFL . It was good .

The Moncton series in my eyes was a huge success for the amenities and seating arrangement .

At the time, I didn't understand why they didn't erect some temporary seating along the end zone sidelines.  Although it wouldn't have been prime seating, it would have been 80 yards of seating with a better view than the seating behind the end zones. 

Users Online

99 Guests, 17 Users (13 Spiders, 4 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
DennyStew, Mightygoose, Balticfox, RichardVeilleux, ExPat, brianjoxx, mycko75, JTea, mstigercats, CrazyCanuck1988, JoeyT, heapbag, Iconic SR, Google (AdSense) (7), Google (5), Baidu

Most Online Today: 166. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)