Bayargonaut00

Warming up to the term East Coast instead of Atlantic . Prefer Maritime if it's regional . Never liked the term Atlantic not sure why ; it just reminds me of the Atlantic and Pacific Company . A&P Grocery where I worked once maybe giving me that negative vibe .

Still if it's city or provincial money that is invested it will be Halifax or Nova Scotia in front of the team name.

Not sure it's really necessary to feel you alienate New Brunswick or PEI CFL fans if you don't regionalize the name . IF your that fickle about seeing a game I doubt you were going to patronize the league anyways .

If it's  Private only money they will call it whatever the like .
There is a better business case to include the whole Atlantic region in the name and moniker,  you obviously want more people to be fans.

There's a reason why the "Boston patriots" became the "New England patriots" .
To not do it regionally in a substantially smaller market would be detrimental , especially if you can even get fans from the US east coast to support the team because they TOO are Atlantic. 
It's not even pandering or watering down people's fervent rabidness, you're just including more people in it.
No finite point has meaning without an infinite reference point

c-way-dude

Warming up to the term East Coast instead of Atlantic . Prefer Maritime if it's regional . Never liked the term Atlantic not sure why ; it just reminds me of the Atlantic and Pacific Company . A&P Grocery where I worked once maybe giving me that negative vibe .

Still if it's city or provincial money that is invested it will be Halifax or Nova Scotia in front of the team name.

Not sure it's really necessary to feel you alienate New Brunswick or PEI CFL fans if you don't regionalize the name . IF your that fickle about seeing a game I doubt you were going to patronize the league anyways .

There is a better business case to include the whole Atlantic region in the name and moniker,  you obviously want more people to be fans.

To not do it regionally in a substantially smaller market would be detrimental , especially if you can even get fans from the US east coast to support the team because they TOO are Atlantic.
It's not even pandering or watering down people's fervent rabidness, you're just including more people in it.
The Boston Patriots became the New England Patriots in 1971, after 11 seasons in Boston as the Boston Patriots.  The New England name is referencing the fact they moved to Foxboro, which is about halfway between downtown Boston and the Massachusetts-Rhode Island border.
If there really is a better business case, then small market teams like the Columbus Blue Jackets should, at the very least, call themselves the Ohio Blue Jackets.  Other examples include the Manitoba Jets, Wisconsin Packers, North Florida Jaguars.
Any rabid fans from outside of Nova Scotia would still be more inclined to go through the hassle to go to games than other people, regardless of team name.
Any other fans who would let the team's name be the deal breaker are just looking for an excuse not to attend.  If it wasn't the team name, it could be one of many potential deal breakers (stadium location, concessions choices, volume of music/stadium announcements, team jersey colour, etc.). 

ToppsCFL

There is a better business case to include the whole Atlantic region in the name and moniker,  you obviously want more people to be fans.

The Patriots dropped the name "Boston" when they couldn't reach a stadium deal in Boston.  They basically thumbed their nose to Boston.  They were not looking for more fans. 

Saskfan4life

I have been told by more than one person who has lived in the Maritimes that their sense of geography is very constricted compared to pretty much the rest of Canada. While people like myself would think nothing of driving 4.5 hours to Regina for a 3 hour football game, then driving 4.5 hours back to sleep in my own bed that night, to a Maritimer, a trip half that distance is considered insanely long, requiring an overnight stay.

I was once in a community theatre production of a Canadian play, written by a Maritime author, originally set in the Maritimes. We changed the setting to Saskatchewan, using cities and towns that were approximately the same distance apart as the ones named in the original script. At one point in the script, my character's mother reveals plans to move to another city, and my character complained, "But that's so far away, mom!" In the script, it's intended as a dramatic moment. The line drew laughs from people in the audience, because in Saskatchewan terms, it was a hop, skip and a jump away, maybe 2 hours drive.

For the Atlantic team to work, it must draw at least occasional support from fans up to 5 hours drive away, much like the Roughriders. If you name the team after the host city, the way a Maritimer's mind works, people in Dartmouth won't support the team, never mind Moncton or Charlottetown, because that's not "their" team. Therefore, to increase the likelihood of regional support, it must be a regional name, either "Atlantic" or "Maritime."

Hank01

I hear that Atlantic is necessary for people 4 or 5 hours away but I think The first 2 hours is way more important .If people think Atlantic is the same bargaining chip as Saskatchewan I would say no it's no more important than using the term Prairie .

There are nearly one million people (942 ,000 ) in Nova Scotia almost the same as ( 1.1 million ) Saskatchewan only in NS they are living a great deal closer .

If I want loyalty like Saskatchewan and most of all PUBLIC MONEY from the province and city you better put the proud moniker of that province or city somewhere .  

Maybe someday New Brunswick could have it's own team with 760,000 people province wide and stadiums hovering just over the 20,000 mark and the new CPL looking at growing into a national force it maybe come into fruition .

The people of Milwaukee have no problem supporting the Green Bay Packers .

I know the guys owning the team like the term Atlantic but from my standpoint they are losing an opportunity to identify with a province and city with no Pro teams at present and this is a great opportunity to influence nostalgic pride in where you have your roots . 

Atlantic I never heard one person answer that when asked where are you from ever in my lifetime ?  A province or city yes but never Atlantic . Atlanta yes which originally was Atlantica .

Vermonter

So then why did the California Angels do the reverse, and zero in on Anaheim? 

c-way-dude

I have been told by more than one person who has lived in the Maritimes that their sense of geography is very constricted compared to pretty much the rest of Canada. While people like myself would think nothing of driving 4.5 hours to Regina for a 3 hour football game, then driving 4.5 hours back to sleep in my own bed that night, to a Maritimer, a trip half that distance is considered insanely long, requiring an overnight stay.

I was once in a community theatre production of a Canadian play, written by a Maritime author, originally set in the Maritimes. We changed the setting to Saskatchewan, using cities and towns that were approximately the same distance apart as the ones named in the original script. At one point in the script, my character's mother reveals plans to move to another city, and my character complained, "But that's so far away, mom!" In the script, it's intended as a dramatic moment. The line drew laughs from people in the audience, because in Saskatchewan terms, it was a hop, skip and a jump away, maybe 2 hours drive.

For the Atlantic team to work, it must draw at least occasional support from fans up to 5 hours drive away, much like the Roughriders. If you name the team after the host city, the way a Maritimer's mind works, people in Dartmouth won't support the team, never mind Moncton or Charlottetown, because that's not "their" team. Therefore, to increase the likelihood of regional support, it must be a regional name, either "Atlantic" or "Maritime."
You are reinforcing my argument that it will be difficult to get people who live hours away to go to games, regardless of name.
Dartmouth has been amalgamated with Halifax in the Halifax Regional Municipality for a long time now.  It's not an issue for people to go from one side to the other.
Even overlooking the fact that city and provincial money will be a necessity (at the very least upfront) to build a stadium, and that almost all of the fans at any given game will probably be from Nova Scotia, the convention in professional sports is to name teams after their host city or province/state.  Not doing so is pandering to a form of political correctness, and IMO, is a timid way to present yourself as a professional football club.

HfxTC

I hear that Atlantic is necessary for people 4 or 5 hours away but I think The first 2 hours is way more important .If people think Atlantic is the same bargaining chip as Saskatchewan I would say no it's no more important than using the term Prairie .

There are nearly one million people (942 ,000 ) in Nova Scotia almost the same as ( 1.1 million ) Saskatchewan only in NS they are living a great deal closer .

If I want loyalty like Saskatchewan and most of all PUBLIC MONEY from the province and city you better put the proud moniker of that province or city somewhere .  

Maybe someday New Brunswick could have it's own team with 760,000 people province wide and stadiums hovering just over the 20,000 mark and the new CPL looking at growing into a national force it maybe come into fruition .

The people of Milwaukee have no problem supporting the Green Bay Packers .

I know the guys owning the team like the term Atlantic but from my standpoint they are losing an opportunity to identify with a province and city with no Pro teams at present and this is a great opportunity to influence nostalgic pride in where you have your roots .

Atlantic I never heard one person answer that when asked where are you from ever in my lifetime ?  A province or city yes but never Atlantic . Atlanta yes which originally was Atlantica .
Not sure what you heard or from who but within Nova Scotia itself. four hours is the max you could be from Halifax being it is roughly 3.5 hour drive from the Eastern and Western most tip of the peninsula and the population of these parts totals about 100 000 people MAX so that's not going to make or break this team. Moncton is 2.5 door to door and Fredericton and PEI are about 4 hours.

It is my opinion that the local population will make this team a success and there is no problem if they manage it properly to get 22 000 people out locally for 9 games a year.

The team name should be tied to whoever puts public money in. if the province and city put money in, it should be called the Nova Scotia whatever , if the province bows out call it the Halifax whatever. If its private money they can call it whatever they want. There needs to be exposure in return for public money. Why would the city and province put cash in if the team will be called the "Atlantic whatever". 

Prairie Roughriders anyone?
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

TravelPat1

So then why did the California Angels do the reverse, and zero in on Anaheim?

Readers digest version of all the various names of the Angels have had.  
- started as the Los Angeles Angels
- changed to California Angels when the team moved from LA to Anaheim
- changed to Anaheim Angels when the city of Anaheim insisted 'Anaheim' be part of the team name for their $30 million contribution to stadium renovation
- when ownership changed in 2005 the new owner who wanted Los Angeles in the name changed the name to 'Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim' - which kept the 'Anaheim' as part of the name as required.
- in 2013 when new lease was being negotiated the city of Anaheim allowed the Anaheim to be dropped so that the team is now just the Los Angeles Angels again.

So hopefully whatever they decide for the name of the CFL team out east - it is something they stick with for decades to come - unlike the name changing Angels.

clx1407

Enough with the all the arguing about the Regional team name, where the stadium will be, the financial aspects of the team,etc. Just let the league take it's time in securing a legit owner, and bring a 10th team the league surely deserves!

FootbalYouBet

Enough with the all the arguing about the Regional team name, where the stadium will be, the financial aspects of the team,etc. Just let the league take it's time in securing a legit owner, and bring a 10th team the league surely deserves!
its called discussion and it is the purpose of this forum.

you wouldn't want to be accused of interfering with free speech wouldja :)
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

brianjoxx

The people of Milwaukee have no problem supporting the Green Bay Packers . But 5 million people live within 1 and a half hour drive, that's why they get 65,000 fans at $300 plus a pop.

And 22,000 per game will spell failure and so will 26,000. Just on average, in a game season the west wins. Why!!!!!!!!! they average 28,000 per game. East 23,500. Difference is Major over 9 games.
Salary cap!!!! Really. More money more perks!!! Lets fix the east with there tiny stadiums first to move up to 30,000 per game. Then work on a expansion team with money and sponsors, with great stadium venue. Could be any where in booming Canada Then welcome snoozers in league when they finally get there system straight. Many many years away. We don;t need another anchor today or tomorrow.

brianjoxx

its called discussion and it is the purpose of this forum.

you wouldn't want to be accused of interfering with free speech wouldja :)
That is very well said. Time will come for a 10th team. Let it happen.
Any well deserving area not just one which has given little response.
Time for a few to move on and open up to best plan that helps existing CFL

Hank01

Nearly 106,000 views for this topic and nearly 300,000 for the Stadiums discussion kind of makes your post a general criticism against most if not all who chat on this forum or even view without joining in . 

You might like to call it arguing but it's just a chat or discussion on making this possible new venture into a successful one since this league is stuck at 9 Canadian teams for way too long and seem to always have one or two one step from leaving the league due to it run far too long without a sound business plan .

Everyone has different ideas on how this venture should be trending towards and which pitfalls they should avoid since many here have spent anywhere from 1 to 50 years not just watching the league but studying it and comparing it with other sports business whether in Canada or the United States .

Since it seems to be popular and most appear to be respectful towards one another why would anyone want to stop speculating on it especially since potential OWNERS have emerged in 2017 .

TravelPat1

The stadiums in the east are the right size for the current demand in their home markets. Here in Hamilton it was a deliberate decision by the team in terms of capacity when THF was being built with about 5,000 fewer seats that IWS.  

If there were 5,000 more seats at Tim Hortons field the team likely would draw fewer fans overall. One of the reasons for the success in selling out the stadium is the limited supply.  More fans are inclined to buy season tickets or flex packs or single game tickets well in advance.  

When Ivor Wynne used to hold in the 30,000 range other than the Labour Day game you rarely had to worry about a game selling out. The team often struggled with advance sales and relied on thousands of tickets being purchased on game days to get a decent crowd.  If it happened to be a lousy weather day or the team was struggling that season - they ended up with  a bunch of crowds below 20,000. 

You've got the Argo talking about potentially not opening some sections of BMO this season for their games. Montreal removed about 1,500 seats a couplee of years ago from their stadium. 

Users Online

92 Guests, 14 Users (14 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
MrLucky, popo, everyman, SeaFiddle, kfan, RedandWhite, mycko75, joe, ticat1, FenderGuy69, batkinson001, rshmglsky, Stampeder67, Google (13), Baidu

Most Online Today: 137. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)