QQ One-Nine

Quote from: "Mark7"
Quote from: "CRFadmin"
Quote from: "ArgoT"
I  watched the new commish on TSN with Dave Naylor and am truly disappointed how  expansion is not even close on his radar.

It's not on his radar because there is no opportunity for it. The CFL does not build stadiums.

The CFL should get involved, build a stadium like Empire Field, the one the Lions used while BC Place was out of service. Having a 10th team would bring in fan and TV money. Would be worth the $15 mil investment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_Field

Maybe it's a function of having seen Ottawa's attempt at a stadium scrutinized to the hilt by opposition, but do you not think you're making it sound far simpler than it actually is?
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.

QQ One-Nine

Quote from: "project.legacy"
Not sure what the big deal is, Mark Cohon himself stated that expansion was at least 10 years away.

I've reached the point where expansion to me is like the end of world due to global warming, or the boom in popularity of soccer. They've all been just around the corner for 30 years.  :roll:

slimjim

Not sure what the big deal is, Mark Cohon himself stated that expansion was at least 10 years away.

I've reached the point where expansion to me is like the end of world due to global warming, or the boom in popularity of soccer. They've all been just around the corner for 30 years.  :roll:

Yes,  it's funny that someone would suggest that the CFL spend money and put in a temp stadium "just like Empire Field"  and that would solve all of the problems for a 10th team....... :roll:
I't takes a lot more than a stadium to get a CFL team.    
Everyone  seems to forget that when Ottawa lost the Renegades in 2005 because no one wanted to buy them,  a 28k stadium sat empty for 8 years because there were no owners or investors that were willing to bring football back to Ottawa.     They condemned the south side lower deck around 2010 but it was still possible to put in temp stands in there if someone wanted to bring in a CFL team.  
A 28k stadium with no CFL team in a city with some of the highest income levels in Canada that had a hard core of CFL fans yet no one interested in bringing in a CFL team.    It only came back because of the owners who had a vision and  a plan to regenerate the whole area of Lansdowne and bringing back the CFL to Ottawa was only one part of the plan.

When you look at what Ottawa had in place everything from a 28k stadium, high income level, a million people, a core of CFL fans, but no football for 9 years.       Yet somoene thinks that building a temporary stadium in Halifax guarantees a CFL team?????????............ :roll:

project.legacy

Quote from: "slimjim"
Everyone  seems to forget that when Ottawa lost the Renegades in 2005 because no one wanted to buy them,  a 28k stadium sat empty for 8 years because there were no owners or investors that were willing to bring football back to Ottawa.
That's not true at all, Jeff Hunt joined up with Golden Gate Capital to buy the team, however when the leading stakeholder (Ernest Anderson) became ill, the deal collapsed. A Frank D'Angelo lead group was also looking into buying the team. This all happened in 2006. One year later Greenberg, Ruddy, and Shenkman joined forces with Jeff Hunt and we know how the rest goes.

QQ One-Nine

Everyone  seems to forget that when Ottawa lost the Renegades in 2005 because no one wanted to buy them,  a 28k stadium sat empty for 8 years because there were no owners or investors that were willing to bring football back to Ottawa.
That's not true at all, Jeff Hunt joined up with Golden Gate Capital to buy the team, however when the leading stakeholder (Ernest Anderson) became ill, the deal collapsed. A Frank D'Angelo lead group was also looking into buying the team. This all happened in 2006. One year later Greenberg, Ruddy, and Shenkman joined forces with Jeff Hunt and we know how the rest goes.

Fair enough that there was interest, even if it wasn't quality interest at all times (Bill Palmer bombed too).

The point is that building a temporary stadium hardly guarantees ownership interest. The league brass can try to track down good owners, but until you have that, you essentially have nothing. You start with ownership and build (literally) from there.

project.legacy

Fair enough that there was interest, even if it wasn't quality interest at all times (Bill Palmer bombed too).

The point is that building a temporary stadium hardly guarantees ownership interest. The league brass can try to track down good owners, but until you have that, you essentially have nothing. You start with ownership and build (literally) from there.
I agree, you need owners before even building a permanent stadium, or else whats the point.

tangledweb

I agree, you need owners before even building a permanent stadium, or else whats the point.

It will be very difficult finding an owner without a stadium to play in.

project.legacy

Quote from: "tangledweb"

I see your point, chicken or the egg theory I suppose. without an owner of a franchise a stadium very quickly becomes a white elephant, an team owner with no stadium to play in, is that person really an owner ?

QQ One-Nine

Indeed, so one of the towns out there needs to get on that. It is not the league's place.

project.legacy

Indeed, so one of the towns out there needs to get on that. It is not the league's place.
Mayor Savage seemed to be trying for awhile, the fact that Halifax finally has Shannon Park in their hands has to be a good sign. As well as the Oland family interest in getting involved.

Can Halifax and the Province of Nova Scotia get 'er done ?

vanhalendlrband

The good news is Toronto has been solved and that was the last required step before CFL was to look at maritimes again
Retired Buffalo quarterback Jim Kelly said this week. "I wouldn\'t want to see anything jeopardize the CFL and what the Toronto Argonauts have done here, and I wouldn\'t want to see anything happen with the Buffalo Bills."

Cool

Mayor Savage seemed to be trying for awhile, the fact that Halifax finally has Shannon Park in their hands has to be a good sign. As well as the Oland family interest in getting involved.

Can Halifax and the Province of Nova Scotia get 'er done ?

The Shannon Park site looks great, as it's right on the ocean and situated on major highways.  

In terms of the other, I don't think they have a choice...
Pull Together everyone

FootbalYouBet

I have no doubt that there will be a team in the maritimes someday, but there are several posters here who will not see it.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

There are people out there who just will not be happy until they have created sentient AI.

QQ One-Nine

Quote from: "FootbalYouBet"
I have no doubt that there will be a team in the maritimes someday, but there are several posters here who will not see it.

I turn 45 this year and I don't like my odds.  :?

Cool

Quote from: "FootbalYouBet"

I turn 45 this year and I don't like my odds.  :?

Users Online

81 Guests, 18 Users (7 Spiders, 5 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ExPat, Hammertown Proud, Grover, MtnCat, raymarkca, letsgoticats, Grimzby, Balticfox, Argofan13, giasone, BillyDee87, Mightygoose, Lennywasout, Google (AdSense) (6), Google

Most Online Today: 151. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)