c-way-dude

Two of the more interesting points to me are that the Premier of New Brunswick instigated the meeting, and that Commissioner Ambrosie made the effort to attend.

brianjoxx

Exactly, Iconic
Luckily you don't own a major BUSINESS.New franchises generally in sports will help the existing
and viability of other franchises that already exist. In this case  will not happen.
Great work and promotion. But No hopefully!!

PTBO Dave

Exactly, Iconic
Luckily you don't own a major BUSINESS.New franchises generally in sports will help the existing
and viability of other franchises that already exist. In this case  will not happen.
A new Atlantic franchise would help existing clubs in several ways:

1. expansion fee (probably $1-2 million to each existing club right off the bat)
2. expanded broadcast schedule (by adding a tenth team, the league could sell 5 games a week instead of 4 games a week)
3. expanded TV market (by adding a team into a market that is not currently represented the potential is there to increase overall viewership that much more....and granted that is only potential not guaranteed increase, but it's the largest market not already represented in the league. And by moving into a new market like Atlantic Canada, the league can be that much more attractive to corporate sponsors who want to target that region).

Regarding gate numbers with an Atlantic team as visitors, it's difficult to predict. Certainly, a Halifax team won't bring the appeal of a New York or Los Angeles, but in the CFL the biggest draw is the team from the smallest market. From my experience, folks from Atlantic Canada have left that region and spread across the country in great numbers. 

Would those spread out Maritimers actually attend Atlantic Team games when they play in other cities? I don't know, but the folks who have left Saskatchewan sure do for their team.

brianjoxx

Exactly, Iconic
and viability of other franchises that already exist. In this case  will not happen.

1. expansion fee (probably $1-2 million to each existing club right off the bat)
2. expanded broadcast schedule (by adding a tenth team, the league could sell 5 games a week instead of 4 games a week)
3. expanded TV market (by adding a team into a market that is not currently represented the potential is there to increase overall viewership that much more....and granted that is only potential not guaranteed increase, but it's the largest market not already represented in the league. And by moving into a new market like Atlantic Canada, the league can be that much more attractive to corporate sponsors who want to target that region).

Regarding gate numbers with an Atlantic team as visitors, it's difficult to predict. Certainly, a Halifax team won't bring the appeal of a New York or Los Angeles, but in the CFL the biggest draw is the team from the smallest market. From my experience, folks from Atlantic Canada have left that region and spread across the country in great numbers.

Would those spread out Maritimers actually attend Atlantic Team games when they play in other cities? I don't know, but the folks who have left Saskatchewan sure do for their team.
Nice reply and thanks!! 2 million paid as a franchise fee to each team is peanuts.  TV revenues today with a 10 team in far east would not increase viewership or commercial value  buy 10%. Therefore new franchise must be in a draw center that attracts interests and viewers ,with a strong team with great commercial value to all. 20 million minimum franchise fee and a 30,000 seat facility with room for expansion and state of the art stadium. Pre-sell 20,000 season tickets. Owners have another bank approved 25 million for operation. Check out Vegas golden Knights scene.
We want success and viability not so much coast to coast. Or Thunder bay, Yellowknife North to south.
Real value need or don't expand and further kill CFL. Its starting to make a comeback to day.
Enough problems to settle today. But cheers

PTBO Dave

Why do you think TV revenues would not increase viewership and revenues by 10%?

For one, adding a tenth team (anywhere, not just Atlantic) would increase the number of games broadcast by somewhere around 10%. I don't know the details of the TSN contract and what it stipulates regarding expansion, but it makes sense to me that the total value paid would be connected to the total number of games broadcast. Having a tenth team would allow TSN to show 5 games per week instead of 4. It makes sense to me that they'd pay 10% more for that alone.

Then if you include the increased exposure the game gets in an unrepresented market, viewership should increase even further. How much further, I don't know. I think as a very general rule, a CFL broadcast gets 1/3 of its viewers from each home team market and 1/3 from fans spread around the country. If you include the Atlantic region in the league, that 1/3 for each game should increase at least somewhat.

Then, if you include the fact that a whole new region that is now unrepresented will be watching, at least the games involving their own teams, that increases the appeal to sponsors. I mean, if the league expands to Victoria, Okanagan, Saskatoon, London, QC, they're going into regions that are already represented by teams, so that's not going to move the needle for corporate sponsors and advertisers to the same degree.

Hey all the prerequisites for expansion sound great, but they might be a little on the idealistic side....though I could see $20 million expansion fee as feasible.

ArgoT

Exactly, Iconic

Nice reply and thanks!! 2 million paid as a franchise fee to each team is peanuts.  TV revenues today with a 10 team in far east would not increase viewership or commercial value  buy 10%. Therefore new franchise must be in a draw center that attracts interests and viewers ,with a strong team with great commercial value to all. 20 million minimum franchise fee and a 30,000 seat facility with room for expansion and state of the art stadium. Pre-sell 20,000 season tickets. Owners have another bank approved 25 million for operation. Check out Vegas golden Knights scene.
We want success and viability not so much coast to coast. Or Thunder bay, Yellowknife North to south.
Real value need or don't expand and further kill CFL. Its starting to make a comeback to day.
Absolutely agree with you.
I always find it curious that some of us try to sell the league short.
By stating it's ok to build heck a 20,000 seat stadium after all that's likely what can be filled.
No way, a new team with supposed buzz in the community should be able to sellout the first year anyway of 30,000 without a problem.
If not, no point going there.
I would yes have a pre sale which is subject to the league then awarding a team.
In fact, the league should state up front how 20,000-22,500 season tickets must be sold for not one but guaranteed for 3 years.
The franchise fee should be around $25M with a further $5M bond held by the league.

Hank01

Exactly, Iconic

Nice reply and thanks!! 2 million paid as a franchise fee to each team is peanuts.  TV revenues today with a 10 team in far east would not increase viewership or commercial value  buy 10%. Therefore new franchise must be in a draw center that attracts interests and viewers ,with a strong team with great commercial value to all. 20 million minimum franchise fee and a 30,000 seat facility with room for expansion and state of the art stadium. Pre-sell 20,000 season tickets. Owners have another bank approved 25 million for operation. Check out Vegas golden Knights scene.
Absolutely agree with you.
I always find it curious that some of us try to sell the league short.
By stating it's ok to build heck a 20,000 seat stadium after all that's likely what can be filled.
No way, a new team with supposed buzz in the community should be able to sellout the first year anyway of 30,000 without a problem.
If not, no point going there.
I would yes have a pre sale which is subject to the league then awarding a team.
In fact, the league should state up front how 20,000-22,500 season tickets must be sold for not one but guaranteed for 3 years.
The franchise fee should be around $25M with a further $5M bond held by the league.
  I don't believe you can ask more for an expansion team in season tickets than three of your biggest cities . You cannot grow the CFL in Canada with a large expansion fee . There is no business case for those type of numbers . 

There is a business case for expanded growth in Canada that can yield more viewership with TV/Net and you can expand growth in the States the same way .
But one needs to be reasonable with fees and spectator numbers that do not exceed inventory . Empty seats are a detriment to the optics of the league at home watching and in the stadium . It builds like a disease where the public does not buy into what your selling with indifference and apathy .

With 1.3 percent growth I would be very happy we have owners now and be elated  that someone will get the ball rolling in the Maritimes as the CFL is not a profitable 
league to venture into with the present revenue streams .  

It is a league that sustains itself with the present revenue but with no equity build in teams values it is in a precarious position in attracting the right kind of buyers who are more philanthropic oriented than speculation investors .

With the Halifax franchise it's only one part of the equation as they are investing in a whole area of business that includes housing and retail . 

That will all change when better revenue streams that are league consistent and shared and will harvest a better value for the individual team in the CFL that can  ask more money when it comes to sell .

Hank01

Montreal averaged 19,500
 Vancouver averaged 19,800
 Toronto averaged 13,900

It is very unreasonable to ask an expansion team to have over 20,000 season tickets when the league averaged 24,600 for the entire season and your three biggest cities don't even get that number for total sales .

Growth in the CFL will be better off with a full stadiums at 24,000 than 30,000 seat stadiums with 6000 empty seats that go unsold and there is no urgency to buy tickets when there is a glut in inventory .

Everybody here would love to see 30,000 seat stadiums packed every game but it is not in reality feasible at the present time dynamics of the CFL business model .

I do wish new stadiums are built consistent with full walk around capability and both end zones are used properly and give a good aesthetic look to the home and in stadium viewer .

OskeeweeneeVI

Exactly, Iconic
Sorry that we are talking about expanding to a market with a half-million people in their immediate market plus the opportunity for a strong regional following.  Sorry that we aren't talking about your beloved Kelowna idea.  
What an awesome idea!!!   A town of 125 000, with a metro pop of 200 000 in the absolute middle of nowhere.  Very few ways for traffic to move in and out if the city with a congestion already an issue.
Sometimes I get a headache trying to read your posts.  We do have things called commas and periods on our keyboards.
Seriously, Kelowna looks like a nice town and I probably would want to visit their one day.  But it is not a destination for a professional sports franchise.

Iconic SR

Exactly, Iconic
The millionaires in charge of the Halifax CFL expansion likely won’t be calling you for advice. They know what they are doing and they understand regional support dynamics in the CFL. It works in some markets and the Maritimes is one of those markets. There is zero down side to using Moncton as a temporary location while new facility is being built in Halifax. 

Users Online

95 Guests, 21 Users (19 Spiders, 5 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Habsfan, Iconic SR, Lyle B. Style, FootbalYouBet, sportsfan100, ticats4242ticats, FormerlyTurkish, stevehvh, brianjoxx, rcon, djrobertson2017, hendy77, VICIOUSCIRCLE, Ferg, rhymes with orange, Taleback, Google (AdSense) (12), Google (7)

Most Online Today: 201. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)