Grover

Moncton seeks a role in making 10th CFL team a 'full Atlantic Canadian initiative'

Moncton mayor Dawn Arnold met this week with the CFL commissioner and the leader of the Halifax CFL group

Moncton mayor Dawn Arnold said her city is all-in on an initiative to secure a Canadian Football League franchise in Atlantic Canada.
She huddled with CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie and Maritime Football Ltd. lead investor Anthony LeBlanc for an hour on Wednesday and came away full of hope for Moncton’s participation in the process that proponents hope will deliver a 10th CFL team to Halifax in the near future.
“I think their takeaway was that Moncton is entering a whole new era as far as a city, its capabilities and what is possible here,” Arnold said. “They loved our stadium. They were tossing around ideas and possibilities — if we were possibly to have the league here for a couple of years before Halifax is ready, possibly have some pre-season games, possibly have a training (camp) here. Everything is on the table.”
Seating at Moncton Stadium can be expanded to almost 21,000 and the venue has hosted three CFL regular-season games. Two were sellouts, the third attracted just 15,123 to watch Hamilton and Montreal.

MORE HERE
http://nationalpost.com/sports/football/cfl/moncton-seeks-a-role-in-making-10th-cfl-team-a-full-atlantic-canadian-initiative

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Grover

Apparently it was the New Brunswick Premier that invited LeBlanc

Group vying for Halifax CFL team meets with premier in Moncton during N.B. visit

"LeBlanc says he was invited to New Brunswick this week by Premier Gallant.
Bruce McFarlane, a spokesperson for the premier’s office, says the visit included a tour of the new downtown civic centre and the stadium at Universite de Moncton."

https://globalnews.ca/news/4260010/cfl-commissioner-visits-moncton/

Hank01

Moncton holds 10000 and can be expanded to 21000 with two end zone bleachers added . 

Probably be optimal with only 5000 extra as they are all end zone seats .

About 15,000 would be a good target number for Moncton .

With the seats so far away with the track/pits and the rest end zone seats it's not the greatest stadium but it will do and the 15,000 would be a reasonable number considering the population for the Moncton area . 

OskeeweeneeVI

Makes sense for both sides.  Moncton gets some extra use for their stadium and the football team gets to market themselves as a regional franchise.

Hank01

With them starting in Moncton they get a great way for the team and the league to do a market analysis that will show who is going to buy tickets and if it will end up as a regional or more a provincial team in the end.

If they find 90 percent going to the games while in Moncton and is supported by New Brunswick residents this maybe a significant for example if in Halifax 90 percent going to the games are from Nova Scotia .

Depending on the market research they end up receiving there maybe a business case for two teams or a continued relationship with making the most out of the entire region with shuttle bus rides from municipalities like Moncton etc ... with purchase of tickets for the game .

My feeling is they already have been well received in corporate support or they would not be so eager to start this team and get the ball rolling .

Plus with TV and CBA deals coming up it would be best to add the team within a reasonable amount of time before they negotiate the next deal with their partners .

Evil Doctor

Staring in Moncton and then moving to Halifax seems silly.  I get that teams have done it in other sports, but haven't those all been relocating teams and not expansion teams?   I don't see why there's any rush to get a team on the field.  Start with a bang in Halifax in a brand new stadium.  Not a temporary team in a temporary home.  
San Jose, Ottawa, Florida, and Tampa Bay of the NHL all played in temporary stadiums until their proper stadiums were built.  Tampa played in a freakin' baseball stadium....

Iconic SR

This unusual situation also helps a broader fan base compete for a finite number of seats in the new building whenever it's ready. If Monctonians love the CFL - they will want tickets and the Halifax area fans will want to ensure they get their own tix etc etc. Creates a nice healthy (and broader) interest in the team

ArgoT

This unusual situation also helps a broader fan base compete for a finite number of seats in the new building whenever it's ready. If Monctonians love the CFL - they will want tickets and the Halifax area fans will want to ensure they get their own tix etc etc. Creates a nice healthy (and broader) interest in the team
Absolutely a great idea.
They can set up a game day bus  transportation system for the two provinces that could bring fans from all around.
Not to mention the added factor of TV viewership and marketing.
This could be a second Saskatchewan if done right.

Grover

BC Lions played at a temp Stadium while their Stadium was renovated

Hamilton played a year in Guelph and a half season at McMaster while their Stadium was being built.

I see no negatives to this, only positives

letsgoticats

Hamilton played a year in Guelph and a half season at McMaster while their Stadium was being built.

Neither of those were expansion teams.  I don't understand why you'd want to start a franchise playing in a different city 3 hrs away in a temporary stadium.  

letsgoticats

Staring in Moncton and then moving to Halifax seems silly.  I get that teams have done it in other sports, but haven't those all been relocating teams and not expansion teams?   I don't see why there's any rush to get a team on the field.  Start with a bang in Halifax in a brand new stadium.  Not a temporary team in a temporary home.  
San Jose, Ottawa, Florida, and Tampa Bay of the NHL all played in temporary stadiums until their proper stadiums were built.  Tampa played in a freakin' baseball stadium....
They were all in the same city though, not 3 hrs away.  

BCRiderFan

Neither of those were expansion teams.  I don't understand why you'd want to start a franchise playing in a different city 3 hrs away in a temporary stadium.  
There were negatives, particularly Guelph, which was an embarrassment to the Tiger-Cats organization and the CFL. It damages the perception of the league. If Halifax can't build a reasonable stadium of 28,000 seats minimum for them to start their team, no franchise should be granted.
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions

ArgoT

Neither of those were expansion teams.  I don't understand why you'd want to start a franchise playing in a different city 3 hrs away in a temporary stadium.  
Nothing wrong with that, especially since Moncton was a serious candidate for a team until this latest rise of Halifax.
Also, as it turns out it's a great way to build a wide provincial brand for a team that will have Atlantic likely in their name.
Not to mention how we also get an earlier so desperate 10th team.

BCRiderFan

We’re not desperate enough to make a huge mistake. Let Moncton build their own real stadium and apply for a team if they’re serious. And no, that little stadium isn’t good enough for the CFL.

Bayargonaut00

Any 'damage' done to the league as far as perception goes will soon be forgotten once the team is a few years established in Halifax. So its a non-issue, especially if what you're working at is something in the long term. which an atlantic franchise is
No finite point has meaning without an infinite reference point

Users Online

94 Guests, 18 Users (14 Spiders, 5 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ExPat, GernB, smokeystover, chiefdkm, Cool, bobo82, SeaFiddle, JoeyT, slowhand, Onemoredork, sully, yougottabekidding, tcmike, Google (AdSense) (5), Google (9)

Most Online Today: 160. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)