Mightygoose

Atlantic Schooners (or whatever they'll be called) playing in Moncton as a temporary location?

Per Naylor on Twitter

https://twitter.com/TSNDaveNaylor

Commissioner @RandyAmbrosie and representative of prospective Hfx ownership group meeting today with Premier of NB and Mayor of Moncton. Believed to be discussing impact of regional Atlantic team and possibility of playing games in Moncton while stadium built in Halifax. #CFL

This would get team 10 on the filed much sooner of this comes together.

rshmglsky

Atlantic Schooners (or whatever they'll be called) playing in Moncton as a temporary location?

Per Naylor on Twitter

Commissioner @RandyAmbrosie and representative of prospective Hfx ownership group meeting today with Premier of NB and Mayor of Moncton. Believed to be discussing impact of regional Atlantic team and possibility of playing games in Moncton while stadium built in Halifax. #CFL

Oh, that's cool. I was wondering if they would do that.

Grover

Next year is a contract year as the existing CBA expires.
It would be great to have a 10th team on the books for what I expect to be some tough negotiations.

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

ArgoT

Per Naylor on Twitter

That's a great idea.
I was there a few years ago at the 1st TD Atlantic game involving my Argos.
The place was sold out and their was a buzz in the air.
Not to mention how Moncton was in the running for a team.
This would also no doubt have a decent base of fans for the future who no doubt would attend in Halifax to watch.
A regional team for sure in Atlantic Canada.

bobbythefinch

I wonder if the Atlantic team would continue to play their exhibition game and an annual regular season game in Moncton even after the stadium is built in Halifax. Similar to the Buffalo Bills in Toronto serious - yet this one would make sense and could work.

97valkyrie

Having a team play in Moncton for a couple of years until new stadium is built in Halifax would truly make the CFL a bush league.. firstly, no one would come to the games in Moncton knowing that in 2020 or whatever they would be moving...do it right get the stadium built and have a grand startup that is worthy of such a historical and momentus occasion

Argofan13

Are we saying that a stadium won't be ready for 2020 in Halifax? I don't understand why it continues to get delayed. I hear that great progress is being made and instead of getting a shovel in the ground we're now hearing that they may start in a temporary facility in Moncton?? Does Halifax want this team or not??

Mightygoose

Considering we haven't even heard of a final site selection never mind a funding proposal. I don't see how shovels can be in the ground this year. They have to get moving to start building next year.

As of Moncton, the biggest thing that sticks out to me is how would season ticket sales work. Most of the base will be from the Halifax area so I can't see too many coming out on a regular basis.

Perhaps, they simply don't put temporary seats in Moncton and they'll have less inventory for single game/walk ups. Hard to say how this gets done.

As far as a the concept, if it's one season (no more than 2) as long as the Halifax Stadium in a sure thing, it think it will work. If it's call Atlantic then they're not out of market. The Raleigh based-Carolina Hurricanes played in Greensboro which still about 1 1/2 hours away. The Tennessee Titans played in Memphis for 1 year and it's about the same distance.

Attendance was bad in those temporary locales hence keep the stadium a 10K capacity in Moncton. 

rshmglsky

Maybe a season ticket drive would be in order if they wanted to stay in Moncton for a year or two.

Hank01

I understand the financing for the actual stadium maybe contested however any government that approves a development need to be on board with assisting to paying for the roads , sewers etc. .. if they wish to grow anything in the province essential services are a given and they do it all the time for developers when they approve the developers plans .

My feeling is that a further investment in the infrastrucure of the actual stadium would have to be partnership with a shared risk especially if there is a community benefit .

Not sure about the details but with the negotiating they would need to to show that the developers are on the hook and willing to take the risk for any costs that go above any capital the city or province invest . The public would only take the risk
in any infrastructure costs like soil contamination , roads etc but the developer would need to take the risk when it comes with the actual builders and cost over runs .

The last part is usually the tricky part in sealing any deal as there is always something going wrong as we have seen in Winnipeg , Hamilton and Ottawa . Just a hunch but this maybe the sticking point right now ; but as many have said earlier that maybe why they are shy in announcing any locations without any preliminary deal in place .

GernB

Having a team play in Moncton for a couple of years until new stadium is built in Halifax would truly make the CFL a bush league.. firstly, no one would come to the games in Moncton knowing that in 2020 or whatever they would be moving...do it right get the stadium built and have a grand startup that is worthy of such a historical and momentus occasion
Carolina (NHL) did much the same thing when they moved from Hartford, so there is some precedent .

letsgoticats

Staring in Moncton and then moving to Halifax seems silly.  I get that teams have done it in other sports, but haven't those all been relocating teams and not expansion teams?   I don't see why there's any rush to get a team on the field.  Start with a bang in Halifax in a brand new stadium.  Not a temporary team in a temporary home.  

rpaege

Staring in Moncton and then moving to Halifax seems silly.  I get that teams have done it in other sports, but haven't those all been relocating teams and not expansion teams?   I don't see why there's any rush to get a team on the field.  Start with a bang in Halifax in a brand new stadium.  Not a temporary team in a temporary home.  
I have to agree. There is no real need to start ASAP in Moncton, just to move a few years later to Halifax. That's why it won't happen. The League knows very well that good things happen when a new franchise is done up right as it was done in Ottawa. It's not going to put the cart before the horse.

VICIOUSCIRCLE

This is a great idea, it will aid for the future of the market in Moncton. Doing something is better than nothing, if you're not trying, you're dying.
12 year BC Lions Seasons Ticket Holder. \":rockin:\"

drummer_god

The CFL has played regular season games in Moncton previously so putting a team there for a season or two - and a team that will represent the Atlantic region including Moncton anyway - is a good move, IMO. 

Fill a small stadium and build up a fan base in the region they plan on representing. Then, when the team is a little more established and hopefully not so bad on the field, move them to a larger/newer stadium in a more populated city also in the Atlantic region. 

This would make the team truly a regional team and not just Halifax team. 

Users Online

96 Guests, 18 Users (13 Spiders, 5 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
GernB, Onemoredork, tcmike, ExPat, smokeystover, chiefdkm, Cool, bobo82, SeaFiddle, JoeyT, slowhand, sully, yougottabekidding, Google (AdSense) (6), Google (7)

Most Online Today: 160. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)