Hank01

From all reports there will be another name contest but if it's anything like the Ottawa contest with the Redblacks name it will come from one of the owners in the end and the heck with the names submitted  .They could have done  better but the lumberjack theme saved them from obscurity in the end and really should expand it ; the kids and old alike love it . 

The R nation thing is forced and awkward as a fan of the team but I get it's marketing purpose even if it's contrived .

They will find a name whether it's Schooners , Privateers or Kraken based on a strong name with endless possibilities on future swag and not on sentimentality alone . Well we hope so anyways .

The people who belong to the Schooners base  will be happy I am sure with any name that gives the team a strong name in the marketplace that gives them pride .

Not sure if Schooners is it but it's not the worst name ; it's just a little bland for marketing . Really don't like the letters if they choose another A they have Argos and Alouettes if they choose an S they have the Riders . Please for the love of all things don't use another letter as a emblem especially ones already used . It's a ten team league challenge the graphic people with some sophistication and imagination .

Cleverness and cultivating a sense of uniqueness shouldn't be this difficult or challenging .

HfxTC

Since this would be naming the team after a type of sailboat, kind of weird to use the plural. I'd rather if they go that route at least use the name of the vessel itself.

"Halifax Bluenose" can't be worse than screaming "We are REDBLACK"
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

Grover

Since this would be naming the team after a type of sailboat, kind of weird to use the plural. I'd rather if they go that route at least use the name of the vessel itself.

Instead of cheering, everyone can stand up and blow their noses!  ;)

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Evil Doctor

Is there a rule that there can only be schooner at any given time?

bobo82

Instead of cheering, everyone can stand up and blow their noses!  ;)

Just think ? The promotions would be endless as well . Imagine an entire stadium looking like this . ;D

or wearing this team jersey or this t -shirt on a hot summer night . ;D

15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

HfxTC

Instead of cheering, everyone can stand up and blow their noses!  ;)

Just think ? The promotions would be endless as well . Imagine an entire stadium looking like this . ;D

or wearing this team jersey or this t -shirt on a hot summer night . ;D

I was trying to be funny Bobo... :)

rpaege

I doubt the name will be anything that ignores all of the other Atlantic provinces including NFLD & LAB. So that would mean Bluenose is probably out since the boat was all Nova Scotia.

I'm going with the Atlantic Tritons :D

Connecticut Yankee

Privateers name won't be available.
National Lacrosse League has trademarked the name for the proposed expansion franchise
that is rumored to be announced in the next few months.
https://prolaxtalk.wordpress.com/2018/03/06/halifax-privateers/

Cali_Eagle

Is anything new happening on the Halifax Schooners (or whatever name they finally choose) Business and/or Stadium fronts?

I remember reading Street and Smiths football preview magazine back in the 1970's & 1980's. They always had an article on the CFL with looks at each team and their prospects / predictions for the upcoming season. It was the only contact I had with the CFL except when the weather over Lake Erie was clear and sharp and I could actually (very rarely) pull in a clear CBC broadcast of CFL games from London Ontario. (I lived in Cleveland, Ohio at the time).

One year (1982 or 1983) the column in Street and Smiths (written by Dick Beddoes of the Toronto Globe and Mail back then) stated that the Halifax Schooners were coming to the CFL as an expansion team and would start play in the following season or two after a Stadium had been built. I recall thinking how cool that was. I never would have believed back then that approximately 35 years later there would still be no team and no stadium.

So now that the day seems to be (possibly) finally at hand, I am wondering what's new? It seems that most of the recent discussion on this forum has been about potential team names. I am curious about what's going on with the Stadium and team owner fronts. Is there anything new happening on either of those?

Saskfan4life

National Lacrosse League has trademarked the name for the proposed expansion franchise
Before the football team moved to Arizona, St. Louis had teams named the Cardinals in both MLB and the NFL. A long time ago, there was a Pittsburgh Pirates hockey team in the NHL as well as the MLB team. Those are just two of several examples through the years. So there could be a Halifax Privateers NLL franchise and an Atlantic Privateers team in the CFL.

Same name, different sports, in different leagues, no problem. Same name, same sport, same league, problem. 

EZ Football

Why would you add a 10th team for a league that has negative cash flow?

OskeeweeneeVI

rshmglsky

Before the football team moved to Arizona, St. Louis had teams named the Cardinals in both MLB and the NFL. A long time ago, there was a Pittsburgh Pirates hockey team in the NHL as well as the MLB team. Those are just two of several examples through the years. So there could be a Halifax Privateers NLL franchise and an Atlantic Privateers team in the CFL.

Same name, different sports, in different leagues, no problem. Same name, same sport, same league, problem.
If the Atlantic Schooners don't get their act together, in that case it would be the Quebec Nordiques who end up as the CFL's tenth team.

Vermonter

I doubt the name will be anything that ignores all of the other Atlantic provinces including NFLD & LAB. So that would mean Bluenose is probably out since the boat was all Nova Scotia.

I'm going with the Atlantic Tritons :D
I can't imagine that there will be too many folks making the trek from NFLD. 

FootbalYouBet

how about Meritime Millennials.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

There are people out there who just will not be happy until they have created sentient AI.

Users Online

103 Guests, 17 Users (13 Spiders, 4 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mightygoose, pikk, MadJack, Evil Doctor, Grover, ExPat, letsgoticats, tony, SeaFiddle, RichardVeilleux, jdc1185, alsfan86, KJF, Google (AdSense) (7), Google (6)

Most Online Today: 146. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)