Iconic SR

I just browsed through the 2018 season ticket choices and prices for the nine present CFL teams, just trying to get a handle on what the various price ranges are should Halifax get a CFL team.

Season's tickets are pricey, more so in some locations than others, but, at least for the first couple of years, I think a new Atlantic team would have to have somewhat lower prices to entice people to at least become season ticket holders. Once that is done, more options could be added to make things more financially feasible.
And when the Schooners/Explosion go on the road, are their road games, premium games?
"Premium games" are games with higher demand for tickets, therefore as any Economics 110 class will teach you, a higher price per ticket, since the supply (seat capacity at the venue) is static. "Premium games" in the CFL are the Labour Day weekend games, and the playoffs and Grey Cup. The Grey Cup is a whole separate level of "premium", as those tickets are even more expensive than Labour Day or the playoffs leading up to it.
You can also look at it from the other angle. If some games are Premium, maybe some are Average and then there are the "dogs" like the pre-season game, the games against teams playing .200 football, games at the end of the calender where your sitting starters and faking one game injuries and playing vanilla football.

Are teams discounting the "dogs" on their schedule? Of course not.
How about the CFL experience? Why can’t we just love that? Support our team because it’s our team? With some games having more at stake than others?

Never could understand the wish washy logic of being a CFL fan but bailing on the games with less fan demand or less at stake. I just like watching pro Canadian football, ergo - I’m a season ticket holder. And we go to games, every one possible.

Wish we had more passionate fans in the CFL that just loved watching pro football live.

Grover

Steve Murphy
@CTVAnchor
Proponents say next 90 days critical to future of Halifax CFL bid, "very confident it's going to happen".  @CTVAtlantic
12:52 PM - 14 Feb 2018

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

brianjoxx

Steve Murphy
@CTVAnchor

Proponents say next 90 days critical to future of Halifax CFL bid, "very confident it's going to happen".  @CTVAtlantic
12:52 PM - 14 Feb 2018
Gee's will this nonsense about FAR east team go on for ever. Guess so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cfl GM meetings made in very clear. ANY expansion team would have in place a solid SOLID proposal. Hugh expansion fee. New stadium of 24,000 to 32,000, with great owners with actually money.
$5,000,000 operating capital for one year. AND big business sponsors with money on the table.
And lastly prove that fans want a team and will pay big dollars to attend.

Of course, I don't know if any of these requirements have been met in dealings between the league and the potential ownership group, but they at least have not been made public as yet, but the fact that Ambrosie has added Halifax to his tour suggests something.

Gornaldatron

I also saw this interview with Ambrosie the other day. He talks about the season structure for 10 teams:

"Through that lens, now you can have two five-team divisions. You’d probably play an unbalanced schedule. Let’s just say hypothetically, maybe each team plays their division rivals three times, that’s 12 games. You then play the other conference one time and one team twice. That would cut down on a lot of travel and make things better for the players. We should make that our priority and keep talking about re-alignment. It’s always fun, you hear a lot of different opinions and I think it’s a great conversation to have."

That's exactly how I would want it. More inter-divisional games. Give me another Toronto-Hamilton game over a Toronto-Edmonton game any day.

Mightygoose

Gee's will this nonsense about FAR east team go on for ever. Guess so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cfl GM meetings made in very clear. ANY expansion team would have in place a solid SOLID proposal. Hugh expansion fee. New stadium of 24,000 to 32,000, with great owners with actually money.
$5,000,000 operating capital for one year. AND big business sponsors with money on the table.
And lastly prove that fans want a team and will pay big dollars to attend.
So have none have been met. None.
Got a source for any of the claims in your post?
This, plus the criteria in determining who and where are qualified for expansion wouldn't be made at GM meeting.

c-way-dude

Hank01

www.atlantic.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1326527&binId=1.1145518&playlistPageNum=1
  Thanks C-way ; if anybody's interested they show a stadium photo at 1:45 .

That photo right there get's people excited as it becomes more tangible and visual .

I know it probably won't be the final design but it looks good  .
MY NEW HERO JORDAN PETERSON FOR PRIME MINISTER

beaglehound

www.atlantic.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1326527&binId=1.1145518&playlistPageNum=1
This was an excellent clip C-way-dude.  Thanks very much for posting the link. Well worth watching.  What I took away from the video clip is:

- If there is a 10th team it will be in Halifax.  
- The team will become a reality in 2020 or perhaps 2021
- The stadium could be as much as $250 million [ or less ]
- The team name 'may' be the Atlantic Schooners but that is not written in stone
- The mayor of Halifax and the premier of Nova Scotia are not interested in public funding

Bowser and LeBlanc sat on the fence with some of their answers but that is okay as everything is still very fluid and changing.  
I got the impression that if there is no public funding the project would still go forward.
While the name Atlantic Schooners has been tossed around for years and the key players LeBlanc and Bowser like the name, the team very well have a different name. They are wanting more public input.

This is very encouraging for the CFL and the fans as it was quite clear that the two fellows who were interviewed are sold on the idea that a 10th team representing the Atlantic region is not only a possibility but will become a reality sooner than later.  

I cannot wait to see this happen!
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."

Mightygoose

Good clip and yes the rendering is very preliminary. Way too many end zone seats IMO but certain that will change.

LeBlanc mentions they're not looking for public money....just public support....financially.....but will be 'revenue nuetral'

Tony the Tiger still has his play book from his Coyotes days...lol

The Last Word

That stadium render just looks like an MLS soccer stadium or possibly a soccer stadium from somewhere in Europe.  Replace the soccer field with a football field and presto there's your image.  Pretty lazy work.  Football stadiums tend to have most of their seats in the lower bowl.  IMO, a real stadium render would have a larger lower bowl and fewer end zone seats.

Fat chance of this thing preceding without a significant public contribution.  Just spin from these two characters.

Iconic SR

That stadium render just looks like an MLS soccer stadium or possibly a soccer stadium from somewhere in Europe.  Replace the soccer field with a football field and presto there's your image.  Pretty lazy work.  Football stadiums tend to have most of their seats in the lower bowl.  IMO, a real stadium render would have a larger lower bowl and fewer end zone seats.

Fat chance of this thing preceding without a significant public contribution.  Just spin from these two characters.
The stadium would have to accommodate MLS. These guys and any investors aren’t ignoring where soccer is going in this country: UP ⚽️ - so ANY new stadium would need to be home to more than just a CFL team.

Mightygoose

Agreed, it would have to have much more use than a CFL team. The pending CPL would likely become a tenant as their arrangement with the pop-up stadium is only for 3 season.

Zero chance MLS is going to put a team in Halifax.

Temporary end zones for Grey Cups and maybe Concacaf Champions League games would work at the most.

Iconic SR

Agreed, it would have to have much more use than a CFL team. The pending CPL would likely become a tenant as their arrangement with the pop-up stadium is only for 3 season.

Zero chance MLS is going to put a team in Halifax.

Temporary end zones for Grey Cups and maybe Concacaf Champions League games would work at the most.
The Maritimes is the hottest immigrant landing zone right now. And local politicians want to entice them to stay there and put down roots. I would never rule out MLS there. It’s a wave of sports growth in Canada that simply can’t be ignored.

TravelPat1

I agree with Mightgoose. Nobody is going to put up about $100 million for an MLS franchise. A Canadian Premier League soccer team would be the likely other tenant to a CFL team if that happens for Halifax.

Aerial

My understanding on what someone wrote here a few months back is that there can't be anymore MLS franchises anyways in Canada because of the rules of how soccer works with the new Canadian Premier League, something to that effect.  Maybe someone can clarify that for me.  But I'm sure Halifax isn't exactly a city or area that the MLS would be looking at regardless.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Users Online

68 Guests, 10 Users (5 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Sidney, bobo82, everyman, Argo Tailgater, sully, Obrigardo, Count Floyd, RichardVeilleux, Google (4), Baidu

Most Online Today: 106. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)