PTBO Dave

I truly believe marketing is a waste of money.  Braley believed it and I'm starting to think MLSE does as well.  :)
Luckily for Lions fans, Ackles believed in marketing and used it to turn around that team's fortunes.

pw13

I have often said as well as my fellow season ticket neighbours, how the upper side should be filled free of charge with school age children.
Who's going to supervise these children? Parents who also get in for free?

PTBO Dave

I have often said as well as my fellow season ticket neighbours, how the upper side should be filled free of charge with school age children.
Who's going to supervise these children? Parents who also get in for free?
Pinball, of course.

Grover

"To get fans to games, the average ticket price will be rolled back by 23 per cent, meaning about 2,600 tickets will be sold for as low as $15 per game for season’s seat holders and $19 per game for single-seat buyers."

https://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2018/04/10/argos-to-lower-ticket-prices-to-lure-new-fans-will-move-tailgating-into-bmo-field.html

“The CFL is no longer interested in being the humble church mouse league. We are no longer interested in being small and obscure,” he said. “We are no longer interested in making do. We want to take the Canadian Football League to new heights.”

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Cool

Nice column.  I didn't feel it was forced; I rather liked it. If it's a cost issue though, that's different.  They mentioned the Shipyard returning to the barracks; I wondered what they meant.  They had beer specials on in the north part of the stadium before the game, which was nice.  Coupled with the Food trucks in that area, made for a nice pre-game atmosphere.  Just need to add Don Juan's from Front St. 
Pull Together everyone

CFL Pete

A mistake to close the upper east deck as it provided great sight lines of the western horizon and the seats were inexpensive.  It's a money grab by the Argos, who will re-open the section asking higher rates once the lower bowls and west side are sold out.  

The experience at BMO last season was electric.  The Eastern Final in November was vintage Canadian playoffs.  The Argos have a great thing at BMO; it's an exciting place, intimate as Percival Molson Stadium was twenty years ago, but far more sophisticated and pleasant.  

The Argos are going to be the class of the CFL in 2018.  The team is going to be fabulous and the crowds are going to be lucky, who get to watch the team at home.  

The problem is, like the idiot Ottawa Senators, location.  If you live nearby, getting to Exhibition Place is easy, but who wants to drive into that mess every Saturday night?  

The Argos in-game experience is neat.  It has a current cache that probably won't endure, but for now BMO is unquestionably "the place to be."  It's the right place at the right time.  Small is beautiful.

KevinRiley2

Come hell or high water, I am going to a game at BMO this year.

A friend of mine wants to go the Toronto Aquarium - TBH, I do too, but I won't tell her that.  I will make her a deal...

I'll go to the Aquarium for the morning, if she goes to an Argo game in the afternoon.  A win-win.  :)
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

CFL Pete

At an open forum last spring a question was put to the Argos brass about how to improve attendance.  Michael Copeland said he was going after the Liberty Village demographic, but Marc Trestman spoke up and said that all a team needs to sell tickets is win at home. 

letsgoticats

A mistake to close the upper east deck as it provided great sight lines of the western horizon and the seats were inexpensive.  It's a money grab by the Argos, who will re-open the section asking higher rates once the lower bowls and west side are sold out.  

The experience at BMO last season was electric.  The Eastern Final in November was vintage Canadian playoffs.  The Argos have a great thing at BMO; it's an exciting place, intimate as Percival Molson Stadium was twenty years ago, but far more sophisticated and pleasant.  

The Argos are going to be the class of the CFL in 2018.  The team is going to be fabulous and the crowds are going to be lucky, who get to watch the team at home.  

The problem is, like the idiot Ottawa Senators, location.  If you live nearby, getting to Exhibition Place is easy, but who wants to drive into that mess every Saturday night?  

The Argos in-game experience is neat.  It has a current cache that probably won't endure, but for now BMO is unquestionably "the place to be."  It's the right place at the right time.  Small is beautiful.
I didn't find the experience electric last year at all.  Perhaps the playoff game was alright, but the atmosphere during the year was pretty miserable for the most part.  Closing the upper east side makes sense.  Force the fans a little closer together, create a bit of buzz in the stadium.   Having fans spread out all over the place leads to a quiet, boring stadium.   

sth1988

Quick and painless discussion with my rep.  I think the lower prices are a good idea.  I was paying less that Leaf prices but more that Blue Jay prices.  Hope they can build on the Eastern Final.

rhymes with orange

At an open forum last spring a question was put to the Argos brass about how to improve attendance.  Michael Copeland said he was going after the Liberty Village demographic, but Marc Trestman spoke up and said that all a team needs to sell tickets is win at home.
If there was one flaw in Copeland's vision (and by the looks of things, MLSE saw several) is that he put all of his chips behind luring the elusive 18-34 demo. While desirable, I don't believe you're going to get the Liberty Village set until the stands fill up. How do you do this? You make kids and families your primary marketing focus first (lowering ticket prices was a good first step).

IMHO, millennials aren't going to "uncool" Argo games with 13,000 people in the stands unless the atmosphere at games improves and there is a bit of a buzz around the team. This is your secondary marketing plan. Once critical mass is achieved on a regular basis, then you go "all in" on this group. Otherwise you're wasting your time (and budget).

CFL Pete

Last year at BMO basically amounted to general admission.  You bought a seat in the "Navy" section and simply gravitated to where the action was in the park.  You went around to the west side and watched from the forty, and at halftime you went down to the northeast corner to see the players and brass up close.  An awesome experience that won't be possible in a full stadium.  Argos fans should enjoy this while it lasts.  It's a great gem of a park, a fantastic team, and nobody knows about it.

Superb acoustics also.  Marvellous experience.

batkinson001

Losing the tailgate was painful and rage inducing as it was a great idea that was finally starting to grow, however not quickly enough for the team to not lose a good chunk of cash on it.

I am glad they finally dropped the argos prices to match the tfc ones, it made my seat in the fanzone affordable enough that I bought another seat for this year, hopefully I can convert some of my friends into becoming season ticket holders this way.  It was how I was introduced to the Argos, in 2009.
Argos Season Ticket Holder for 2010, 2011, 2012 (GC100!), 2013, 2014, 2016 (GC at BMO!), 2017 & 2018

Member of the Double Blue Order, Section 116 in the Fan Zone at BMO Field.

CFL Pete

Agree.  Provide tickets to devoted fans and watch the stadium fill with patrons.  Get football lovers in the park any which way you can.  

CFL Pete

Joanyfootball belongs in the Argos' sales office.  This is persuasive and thorough research.  Joanyfootball knows her stuff.

Users Online

63 Guests, 1 User (3 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
EastVanMark, Google (3)

Most Online Today: 105. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)