RM14

Are they going to use blue tarps or leave the sections all red? 
GO STAMPS GO

The Last Word

With the dramatic decrease in prices, 18,000 fans per game will no longer be the break-even point.  In fact, with capacity reduced to 20,000 with the tarps in place on the east side it is probably safe to say that sellouts will be required to break-even at best for the Argos.  This, of course, will not happen.  The Argos have already lost millions with this new ownership group so expect a few million more in losses after this season.

PTBO Dave

No way to put a positive spin on this.
Au contraire, ST numbers are up roughly 17%, with a couple months still to go. No way to put a negative spin on that.  :D
You got me.  :)
Heh, while there's no doubt Argos attendance is still a big problem for the league, if they can turn that increase in STs to even a 10% increase in attendance overall, I think it'd be a good sign. 

Grover

With the dramatic decrease in prices, 18,000 fans per game will no longer be the break-even point.  In fact, with capacity reduced to 20,000 with the tarps in place on the east side it is probably safe to say that sellouts will be required to break-even at best for the Argos.  This, of course, will not happen.  The Argos have already lost millions with this new ownership group so expect a few million more in losses after this season.
C'mon Last Word, "expect a few million in losses" is pocket change to MLSE.
If it is at all possible to turn a profit on this franchise, it will take a long long time to happen.
I believe MLSE is looking long term and the Sportsnet half of MLSE will be heavily involved in the next CFL TV contract coming due after the 2021 season.

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Mightygoose

Plus the Argos will save some money by not paying market rate for rent or the use of MLSE's marketing services, although it's 2/3rds the case of going from one pocket to the other.

They'll also get a greater share of the naming rights revenues from BMO. Better share of concession revenue too. if they are doing 'tailgating inside the stadium' that will being in some more $$$ too plus the removal of costs operating at Ontario place...this will help offset ticket revenue of the higher end price seats which did sell well on the west side.

2ez

I always find it kind of sad that so many need to drink alcohol while attending a sporting event or else they just will not go.
Bingo FYB!  You want a drunken affair at BMO with a bunch of young drunks, go to TFC.  A different experience from that, go to an Argos game.  And you can still get wasted!

This is what the soccer fans want here in NA:

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/qknx85/france-is-banning-alcohol-because-of-massive-soccer-riots
Sports teams want younger fans, sorry to break it too you Aeriel. TFC owns BMO field, that's their home and they've made it abundantly clear ever since the Argos moved in. I wanted the Argos to work at BMO, but all of you trying to act like this is a positive are stretching reality. It makes me laugh too when everybody claims how small MLS is, yet the Argos can't outdraw them? Ever?

Both teams have small fanbases, but TFC makes the Argos look like a joke when it comes to support. The Argos just limited their capacity to 20K, meanwhile TFC averaged 27K last year playing WAY more games. It's just facts, and it makes me mad too because our rivalry has gone down the drain without proper support in Toronto. It's not fun anymore to bash the Argos, at this point we're just trying to keep them alive by sending hoards of fans down the highway whenever we play. Hamilton fans have propped up the Argos attendance numbers my entire life, would you deny that as well?

I've got my friends who've never watched a live soccer game in their life ready to go to a TFC game...why? BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE FUN, why is that a bad thing unless you're anti-alcohol and fun? (I rarely drink by the way especially at sporting events, I had one beer at THF all last year lol) ... TFC, Whitecaps and Impact are changing the sports landscape in Canada and us football people are going to need to adjust before we get left behind.

Have you ever seen an Argos game on TV compared to TFC? I went to the inaugural CFL game at BMO and the atmosphere sucked - "sellout" crowd too. Was a bunch of plastic fans who clearly never came back after halftime. Place was empty in the third quarter I couldn't believe it. And that was their best crowd ever, it's been all down hill from there.

You want to see what soccer fans want in Canada? I suggest doing proper research within our borders where we've developed our own culture.

No personal hate either, it's just you're way off base with the TFC bashing, it makes you seem clueless when TFC is light years ahead of the Argos in the Toronto sports scene right now. And the Argos just won the freaking Cup, this is sad. I can't even imagine a world where the Cats would have 4200 STH after a Grey Cup season, we'd be pushing for 17-20K. They capped STH at 16K when we first opened THF not sure if that's still the number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSxMW-uLcvM

Sign me up yesterday to attend a sporting event like this at the Big O or BMO, I don't care what sport. That's raw passion. I'll never understand why I was brainwashed as a kid to hate soccer. If that doesn't look like fun, well then we are two different types of people lol

By the way, TFC is playing their biggest game in club history tonight in Mexico against Club America. They're up 3-1 on aggregate should be a crazy, crazy night at Estadio Azteca which holds 87,000 fans. If they hold on they'll be heading to the CONCACAF Champions League Final. 

KevinRiley2

Plus the Argos will save some money by not paying market rate for rent or the use of MLSE's marketing services, although it's 2/3rds the case of going from one pocket to the other.

They'll also get a greater share of the naming rights revenues from BMO. Better share of concession revenue too. if they are doing 'tailgating inside the stadium' that will being in some more $$$ too plus the removal of costs operating at Ontario place...this will help offset ticket revenue of the higher end price seats which did sell well on the west side.
Since MLSE now owns the Argos, why only 2/3rds?

You lost me.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Mightygoose

They'll also get a greater share of the naming rights revenues from BMO. Better share of concession revenue too. if they are doing 'tailgating inside the stadium' that will being in some more $$$ too plus the removal of costs operating at Ontario place...this will help offset ticket revenue of the higher end price seats which did sell well on the west side.
Since MLSE now owns the Argos, why only 2/3rds?

You lost me.
Sorry, meant to say it was 2/3rds before (Bell and Tannenbaum), so they'll have more access to stadium revenues now.

KevinRiley2

With the dramatic decrease in prices, 18,000 fans per game will no longer be the break-even point.  In fact, with capacity reduced to 20,000 with the tarps in place on the east side it is probably safe to say that sellouts will be required to break-even at best for the Argos.  This, of course, will not happen.  The Argos have already lost millions with this new ownership group so expect a few million more in losses after this season.
C'mon Last Word, "expect a few million in losses" is pocket change to MLSE.
If it is at all possible to turn a profit on this franchise, it will take a long long time to happen.
I believe MLSE is looking long term and the Sportsnet half of MLSE will be heavily involved in the next CFL TV contract coming due after the 2021 season.
Assuming Sportsnet is interested in the CFL and it creates a bit of a bidding war, profitability could come in 2021 - with new TV money.  We'll see.  I'd be happy with break even and that may be the more realistic goal.

Agree, the losses are rounding errors for MLSE.  Still, we'd obviously prefer the team was in the Black.

Hank01

I actually feel good about the moves made the reduced prices for the market means that you can now sell to a larger audience that may not be able to afford the price point of Pro Sports in Toronto .

It opens up the demographic and lets people into sharing a common bond with others who want to attend pro events live but may be hesitant in committing with their financial constraints .With the price point low enough you do get a younger fan  who can now afford to come out and party .

Bringing Pinball in as more an active role will pay dividends as well;  as he is admired throughout the Toronto area .

KevinRiley2

I actually feel good about the moves made the reduced prices for the market means that you can now sell to a larger audience that may not be able to afford the price point of Pro Sports in Toronto .

It opens up the demographic and lets people into sharing a common bond with others who want to attend pro events live but may be hesitant in committing with their financial constraints .With the price point low enough you do get a younger fan  who can now afford to come out and party .

Bringing Pinball in as more an active role will pay dividends as well;  as he is admired throughout the Toronto area .
Well said.

Abendschan

forget the beer, bring on the Clydesdales
ride into Churchill Downs 

Argo Tailgater

Shame about the tailgating. It was an important part of being there.  All the additional people we brought came mostly for the tailgate.  Made it more of an event, which is important for people that come from further away. More to do more value for your money. If fans only come for the game, what will happen when the on field performance drops?  As good as the Argos are now, they won’t be forever.  A small league always has one down and out whipping boy, sooner or later it will be Argos turn at the bottom, without atmosphere there will be little reason to go. Tailgating inside the stadium isn’t remotely close to the same.  I like to cook my own food. I went to 10 games last year 8 at BMO including the playoff game, one to watch them play in Ottawa and finally the Grey Cup. For those 8 games at BMO I likely averaged 6 tickets game for friends and family. For the Eastern Final I brought 14 people to the tailgate and game, 10 people only came to the game because there was tailgating. This year I’ll still be at 6-8 regular season games, but it will likely be just two tickets.  One for me and one for my son. 

letsgoticats

Shame about the tailgating. It was an important part of being there.  All the additional people we brought came mostly for the tailgate.  Made it more of an event, which is important for people that come from further away. More to do more value for your money. If fans only come for the game, what will happen when the on field performance drops?  As good as the Argos are now, they won’t be forever.  A small league always has one down and out whipping boy, sooner or later it will be Argos turn at the bottom, without atmosphere there will be little reason to go. Tailgating inside the stadium isn’t remotely close to the same.  I like to cook my own food. I went to 10 games last year 8 at BMO including the playoff game, one to watch them play in Ottawa and finally the Grey Cup. For those 8 games at BMO I likely averaged 6 tickets game for friends and family. For the Eastern Final I brought 14 people to the tailgate and game, 10 people only came to the game because there was tailgating. This year I’ll still be at 6-8 regular season games, but it will likely be just two tickets.  One for me and one for my son.
Can't you keep doing it though? Only difference is you'll have to BYOB.

Hank01

The only difference is they don't have the police , security ,food,  beer for sale , bands etc ..  

You can still , cook and drink something just use RED CUPs not out in the open or soda pop they won't check unless someone is rowdy or causing a disturbance .

I imagine the police and security costs for the tail gate made no sense to have a licensed event .

Users Online

91 Guests, 4 Users (18 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Cool, drummer_god, mycko75, Grover, Google (18)

Most Online Today: 137. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)