Aerial

Pat, keep dreaming though, I keep dreaming I'm going to win lots of money in the lottery and who knows, it just might happen.  8)
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Xvys

I'll believe Sportsnet has "renewed" interest in the CFL when they provide readers a "CFL" heading on top of their home-page, like they do for the NFL and Soccer, rather than hiding CFL news in the "More" section along with Cycling, UFC and USports?

I realize they might not want to promote the CFL section because Rogers doesn't have the TV rights but I don't see much NFL programming on Sportsnet these days, but they still have a NFL section heading? The NFL gets pretty crappy ratings in Canada for Sunday, Monday and Thursday evening games (despite the NFL games being simulcast on CTV), much lower than average CFL ratings.

The CFL is the 2nd-most popular sport in Canada with Rogers having a 37.5% ownership stake in a CFL team, but Sportsnet still buries their CFL news? Should we expect U.S. sports websites to help publicize the CFL with section headings but ignore the NFL? I don't think so. 

If a Canadian sports website won't promote the CFL on at least an equal footing with the NFL, what country would? Do Australian sports websites highlight the NFL over the Australian Football League? I doubt it.

You might think if Rogers really has renewed CFL interest they would make it easier for fans to find CFL news on their website, like they do for NFL and Soccer.

TravelPat1

The NFL gets pretty crappy ratings in Canada for Sunday, Monday and Thursday evening games (despite the NFL games being simulcast on CTV), much lower than average CFL ratings.
Just a quick comment on that. Monday nights are only on TSN still not CTV.  And Sunday and Thursdays are on CTV2 not CTV - but yes do now get simsubbed as you correctly point out. 

Having said that Bell Media in their 3rd Quarter report for 2017 - did report last year that their overall Sunday NFL ratings through the first few weeks of last season were up 53% compared to 2016.  Pretty much all of that increase was attributed to Sunday night games being added to CTV2 - so that NBC stations got simsubbed. The result all kinds of viewers per Sunday night game that had not been counted in previous seasons when only TSN (not simsubbed) had those games - were now watching on Bell Media simsubbed stations and were now being counted in the ratings. 

In the off season - I can understand why there is not a CFL tab at the top of Sportsnet website and part of that is because there are only 9 teams. How much off season news can 9 teams generate on an hourly/daily basis compared to the off season news for NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL - all leagues with 30+ teams. Stories on websites are changing and being added hourly to attract eyes throughout the day. They want people to check them out multiple times per day. 

A 9 team league - especially one not a property of that network's website - just doesn't generate enough new stories on a daily basis in the off season IMO. 

If there is not CFL tab once the season starts - then I'll agree with you. 

Aerial

Interestingly though, when I type "Canadian football" as a phrase into Google news which I just did now, while the majority of the news pieces are from CFL.ca, I don't see any TSN pieces but do see a Sportsnet piece on Argos ticket prices and an article from TheScore, owned by Rogers I think,  on Manziel.  Now this could simply be how Google news indexes articles from time and day etc. I don't know their news indexing algorithms and what content is looked at when for indexing purposes.  But nevertheless.

depopulationINC

Interestingly though, when I type "Canadian football" as a phrase into Google news which I just did now, while the majority of the news pieces are from CFL.ca, I don't see any TSN pieces but do see a Sportsnet piece on Argos ticket prices and an article from TheScore, owned by Rogers I think,  on Manziel.  Now this could simply be how Google news indexes articles from time and day etc. I don't know their news indexing algorithms and what content is looked at when for indexing purposes.  But nevertheless.
And now try it in a search engine that you don't use all the time and hasn't profiled you.

I see nothing from either network in the first few pages on google.

pw13

Interestingly though, when I type "Canadian football" as a phrase into Google news which I just did now, while the majority of the news pieces are from CFL.ca, I don't see any TSN pieces but do see a Sportsnet piece on Argos ticket prices and an article from TheScore, owned by Rogers I think,  on Manziel.  
Rogers does not own The Score. 

FootbalYouBet

search CFL.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

GHT120

Interestingly though, when I type "Canadian football" as a phrase into Google news which I just did now, while the majority of the news pieces are from CFL.ca, I don't see any TSN pieces but do see a Sportsnet piece on Argos ticket prices and an article from TheScore, owned by Rogers I think,  on Manziel.  
Sportsnet360 is what used to be "The Score"; Rogers bought it in 2012.
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

Aerial

hasn't profiled you.
Yes depop, who knows how this all works with Big Brother watching what you do and then there is this Facebook scandal and privacy issue all over the news.

Scary times.  I have the feeling we are always being watched with this digital society we now all live in.  :-\

TravelPat1

'The Score' today is a digital/mobile sports company that is no longer affiliated with Rogers. Rogers sold all their shares in the company 3 or 4 years ago.  

KevinRiley2

'The Score' today is a digital/mobile sports company that is no longer affiliated with Rogers. Rogers sold all their shares in the company 3 or 4 years ago.  
Are you sure, Patrick?

The reason I ask...

They still carry Prime Time Sports and, according to the Wiki page, it is still under Sportsnet.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

pw13

Sportsnet360 is what used to be "The Score"; Rogers bought it in 2012.
And The Score still exists and is unconnected to Rogers. The originators of The Score sold their broadcast property (originally called Sportscope) to Rogers but kept their digital property, which is what produced the story that popped up on Google.

pw13

Are you sure, Patrick?

The reason I ask...

They still carry Prime Time Sports and, according to the Wiki page, it is still under Sportsnet.
Sportsnet is not The Score. The single company called The Score was split into two pieces -- the broadcast part was sold to Rogers. The Levy family controls The Score. 

TravelPat1

Are you sure, Patrick?

The reason I ask...

Yes I am sure Kevin - as explained so well by pw13.

http://mobile.thescore.com/about-us/

depopulationINC

hasn't profiled you.
Yes depop, who knows how this all works with Big Brother watching what you do and then there is this Facebook scandal and privacy issue all over the news.

Scary times.  I have the feeling we are always being watched with this digital society we now all live in.  :-\
scary times when you hop on google on your computer (logged in) and then hop on your android and go to google and the past few searches from your PC are clouded in there, your Facebook has adds around those, and your adverts (if you lack a blocker) do as well.

Users Online

81 Guests, 3 Users (15 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
mycko75, Cool, drummer_god, Google (15)

Most Online Today: 137. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)