KevinRiley2

CFL football is no longer a great television product.  Way too many timeouts and commercials.  The latter part of the fourth quarter is about the only time the game flows without constant interruptions.  Thank goodness Randy Ambrosie took away the second coach's challenge or the ennui would have been intolerable.

For the best of Canadian football, see it live.

Even in Toronto.
The CFL package provide close to 275 hours of Canadian Content, with an average rating of about 600K.  While not "great", it's very good.
Yes because you now can surround that content with more content geared at talking points and short segments on stories it gathers even more content .

I would put it up there for great when talking about Canadian and Sports content within our borders . Its 6 months that you can put on in primetime or weekends that fill up the advertisers budget .

I do get CFL Pete's thinking in terms of FLOW though it needs a bit of tweaking with advertisements on split screen or something to make sure the games dramatic effect and energy doesn't get sucked out by penalties and ad breaks .
Re : " Yes because you now can surround that content with more content geared at talking points and short segments on stories it gathers even more content ."

Yup.

A 3 hour game needs a 30 minute pregame show.

TSN also had (past tense?) a "CFL in 30" show.

They rerun games.

Grey Cup Day starts in the a.m.

All for $45M/yr.  Quite the bargain.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

depopulationINC

CFL football is no longer a great television product.  Way too many timeouts and commercials.  The latter part of the fourth quarter is about the only time the game flows without constant interruptions.  Thank goodness Randy Ambrosie took away the second coach's challenge or the ennui would have been intolerable.

For the best of Canadian football, see it live.

Even in Toronto.
The CFL package provide close to 275 hours of Canadian Content, with an average rating of about 600K.  While not "great", it's very good.
Yes because you now can surround that content with more content geared at talking points and short segments on stories it gathers even more content .

I would put it up there for great when talking about Canadian and Sports content within our borders . Its 6 months that you can put on in primetime or weekends that fill up the advertisers budget .

I do get CFL Pete's thinking in terms of FLOW though it needs a bit of tweaking with advertisements on split screen or something to make sure the games dramatic effect and energy doesn't get sucked out by penalties and ad breaks .
Re : " Yes because you now can surround that content with more content geared at talking points and short segments on stories it gathers even more content ."

Yup.

A 3 hour game needs a 30 minute pregame show.

TSN also had (past tense?) a "CFL in 30" show.

They rerun games.

Grey Cup Day starts in the a.m.

All for $45M/yr.  Quite the bargain.
I have always felt the CFL should start games 15 minutes or so off the hour...so instead of say a 630pm kickoff it would be 615 or 645.  Maybe even something like 620/650pm.  This gives that 15 minute window to have a little pre-game and then has some wiggle room if it runs a bit late or to have a bit of a recap discussion.  I feel like 30 minutes, 2 hours a week, of pregame might not sell well in a 4 game a week league for the average viewer. a 20 minute time frame would give them 5-6 minutes on each team playing, a couple minutes for commercials, then rolling into the game.  Either way...I would prefer seeing more of an intro for the teams which included the anthem and coin toss worked in there...I feel it builds up what the atmosphere in stadium is like, and that is something the CFL games really lack on TV

CFL Pete

There used to be a midweek coach's show in Ottawa featuring George Brancato.  He was interviewed by a local media personality and broke down particular plays on game film for the audience.  Not only was this informative, it was responsible on the part of the organization, and gutsy on the coach's behalf.  Usually there was a feature on a new player or a fan or something else connected to the team.  For the viewers who missed the game - and home games didn't used to be broadcast locally - it was an interesting watch.  The television behemoth will crush the little CFL.  We ain't the NFL, people, much as we may wish we were.  The CFL is a little league, appealing to people who like a little football with the rest of our busy lives.  We ain't the NFL.  Small is beautiful.

Aerial

Small is beautiful particularly in the sense it keeps the league off the map from the NFL wanting to just basically buy the league out and then taking what franchises they want for themselves and thus the CFL becoming extinct, similar to what happened with the WHA and the NHL.  The CFL is no threat at all to the NFL and hopefully it will stay that way.

And it's great that Sportsnet/Rogers is now involved with the league with some ownership in Toronto.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

Argo Tailgater

There used to be a midweek coach's show in Ottawa featuring George Brancato.  He was interviewed by a local media personality and broke down particular plays on game film for the audience.  Not only was this informative, it was responsible on the part of the organization, and gutsy on the coach's behalf.  Usually there was a feature on a new player or a fan or something else connected to the team.  For the viewers who missed the game - and home games didn't used to be broadcast locally - it was an interesting watch.  The television behemoth will crush the little CFL.  We ain't the NFL, people, much as we may wish we were.  The CFL is a little league, appealing to people who like a little football with the rest of our busy lives.  We ain't the NFL.  Small is beautiful.
Rough Rider Review. I was in the opening credits. Along with many others. 

Aerial

Forgot to add that the NFL would love to add the Riders to their mix right now without a doubt but I won't dwell on that as I don't think some people especially from the GTA would ever like to admit that. ;)

But it is what it is, Riders before Argos on that one and I don't think anyone, as of this point in time talking stadiums in the mix of the talk, can argue with that, even Pat.  8)

TravelPat1

Forgot to add that the NFL would love to add the Riders to their mix right now without a doubt but I won't dwell on that as I don't think some people especially from the GTA would ever like to admit that. ;)

But it is what it is, Riders before Argos on that one and I don't think anyone, as of this point in time talking stadiums in the mix of the talk, can argue with that, even Pat.  8)
What are you trying to say Earl? Are you saying the NFL is eyeing Regina moreso than Toronto for an NFL expansion franchise?

Yes granted they have a beautiful new stadium - but it is only about half the size of the minimum required in the NFL these days. And unless there has been a huge expansion of the corporate sector in Saskatchewan I think it doubtful they have the corporate sector that would generate the tens of millions a year that a typical NFL team generates from the corporate suites and corporate season tickets in their cities.

Eg. Indy - 137 corporate boxes that cost in the $15,000USD - $20,000USD PER GAME range. Or ticket prices that the median cost for an NFL season ticket is in the $1900USD per season range. And that is with most stadiums having 70,000 seats to sell.  What prices would Regina have to charge to generate similar revenue in their sized stadium?  

Toronto does have a corporate sector that already exhibits how much it is willing to spend and does spend on suites and tickets for the Leafs and Raptors.  Heck just look at the price for tickets to Raptors first round playoff games - many of which are bought by the corporate sector.  $711.00 for many lower bowl seats, well over $1000 per ticket for floor seats.  $275.00 for midcourt upper bowl seats. And that is the retail rate - not resale prices.  The resale rates on Ticketmaster are crazy.  Over $4000 for front row floor seats and over $1700 for 3rd row florr seats. 

It's because that city has the money (crazy money that it is) to play in the 'big leagues'.  

pw13

Oh brother. The NFL does NOT want Regina in its league. That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while. The NFL wants markets like London (the big one, not Ontario) -- markets that will yield revenue significant enough to be worth adding another slice to the league-wide pie.

Aerial

All I'm saying with the 2 stadiums and no new stadiums on the horizon for either franchise,  and real gridiron football fan bases in place, Saskatchewan or Toronto, Saskatchewan winds in a landslide if the NFL came knocking to Canada, not even close, everything else being considered.  Also Buffalo very close to Toronto which is a major hindrance.

This is quite obvious actually at least to me it is.  Also Saskatchewan doesn't have other sports to compete with like in Toronto, pro sports.

But right now the NFL isn't even looking to Canada at all so it's all mute discussion anyways.

Hank01

But it is what it is, Riders before Argos on that one and I don't think anyone, as of this point in time talking stadiums in the mix of the talk, can argue with that, even Pat.  8)
What are you trying to say Earl? Are you saying the NFL is eyeing Regina moreso than Toronto for an NFL expansion franchise?

Yes granted they have a beautiful new stadium - but it is only about half the size of the minimum required in the NFL these days. And unless there has been a huge expansion of the corporate sector in Saskatchewan I think it doubtful they have the corporate sector that would generate the tens of millions a year that a typical NFL team generates from the corporate suites and corporate season tickets in their cities.

Eg. Indy - 137 corporate boxes that cost in the $15,000USD - $20,000USD PER GAME range. Or ticket prices that the median cost for an NFL season ticket is in the $1900USD per season range. And that is with most stadiums having 70,000 seats to sell.  What prices would Regina have to charge to generate similar revenue in their sized stadium?  

Toronto does have a corporate sector that already exhibits how much it is willing to spend and does spend on suites and tickets for the Leafs and Raptors.  Heck just look at the price for tickets to Raptors first round playoff games - many of which are bought by the corporate sector.  $711.00 for many lower bowl seats, well over $1000 per ticket for floor seats.  $275.00 for midcourt upper bowl seats. And that is the retail rate - not resale prices.  The resale rates on Ticketmaster are crazy.  Over $4000 for front row floor seats and over $1700 for 3rd row florr seats.

It's because that city has the money (crazy money that it is) to play in the 'big leagues'.  
  Probably why the rest of the country has a hate on for Toronto . When the price of admission leaves the average guy SOL to support the team live ; you build a little animosity . But your right only in Toronto can you find the pockets deep enough for such an extravagance . 

Probably why I don't mind spending my money on the CFL it's just an extreme bargain entertainment wise .

Aerial

Pat, if you're saying people in Toronto are crazy that spend so much of their money on the "big leagues" I completely agree, bat poo crazy.  But hey, whatever turns them on, it's their choice.    ;D

Of course easy for me to say because I don't have money like that to spend on the "big leagues".  ;)

GHT120

All I'm saying with the 2 stadiums and no new stadiums on the horizon for either franchise,  and real gridiron football fan bases in place, Saskatchewan or Toronto, Saskatchewan winds in a landslide if the NFL came knocking to Canada, not even close, everything else being considered.  Also Buffalo very close to Toronto which is a major hindrance.

This is quite obvious actually at least to me it is.  Also Saskatchewan doesn't have other sports to compete with like in Toronto, pro sports.

But right now the NFL isn't even looking to Canada at all so it's all mute discussion anyways.
But not only isn't the NFL looking to "knock" but they don't even care where that door is.
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

Aerial

Bingo GHT, the NFL right now is looking into cities that would build at minimum a billion dollar stadium to "overcome" the far less than billion dollar stadiums that MLB would build albeit MLB doesn't need billion dollar stadiums compared with the NFL, sort of thing.

Nothing in Canada interests the NFL now without some group saying they will build a billion dollar stadium and that is perhaps a bit on the low side come to think of it.  Pat seems to think BMO will suffice for the NFL and that is simply not the case at all despite how many bums they could put in BMO for whatever price.  The stadium is simply too low class for the current NFL.  BMO would make the NFL look like a minor league.  There is no NFL stadium in Canada right now and won't be for the foreseeable future IMHO.  BC Place maybe but Vancouver is too close to Seattle and Mosaic, well, it's just too "CFL", thankfully!  The Big O of course is a joke.  And Rogers is now a baseball specific stadium, out.

The NFL has it's fans in Canada anyways so that is basically taken care of.

TravelPat1

There's Earl putting words in my mouth again. Ever since Pegula won the bidding war for the Bills it has been evident to me that any possibility of Toronto getting a NFL franchise is minimal for the foreseeable future. 

Even the talked about expansion to 40,000+ seats of BMO Field would be nowhere near meeting the minimum requirements for an NFL team. I've NEVER said BMO had NFL potential. It doesn't. 

But some of those big moneyed types - who are still hoping that eventually an NFL team does come to Canada - they are pretty much unanimous in knowing  that Toronto is the only city where they can even remotely dream about it happening at some point in the future - from a corporate money /financial feasibility point of view. No place else in Canada would even be close to that. Certainly not Regina.

But that dream seems a very distant one right now for those people. 

KevinRiley2

There's Earl putting words in my mouth again. Ever since Pegula won the bidding war for the Bills it has been evident to me that any possibility of Toronto getting a NFL franchise is minimal for the foreseeable future.

Even the talked about expansion to 40,000+ seats of BMO Field would be nowhere near meeting the minimum requirements for an NFL team. I've NEVER said BMO had NFL potential. It doesn't.

But some of those big moneyed types - who are still hoping that eventually an NFL team does come to Canada - they are pretty much unanimous in knowing  that Toronto is the only city where they can even remotely dream about it happening at some point in the future - from a corporate money /financial feasibility point of view. No place else in Canada would even be close to that. Certainly not Regina.

But that dream seems a very distant one right now for those people.
That's fair.

Users Online

53 Guests, 3 Users (10 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
PatLynch, Mightygoose, Chestmaster, Google (AdSense) (2), Google (8)

Most Online Today: 160. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)