300Magnum

Another small savings for the team will be paying the per diem for each player of IIRC $115 each.

Looking at the players, 46 + practice roster of 10 and any IR players that may travel with the team along with probably 30 coaches, trainers, spotters, medical staff and equipment staff, a team could easily be looking at upwards of 90 individuals.

Winning is the goal of all teams and travel sometimes plays havoc with a teams schedule and having their own charter allows for them to sit comfortably and not have to go through airport security and have their own schedule instead of being at the mercy of flying commercial.

If a team has a game on Saturday, they fly out Friday at a time to arrive to meet the media obligations and fly directly home after the game.

Its a great idea and good for the Als.

This certainly could give them a competitive advantage on the road instead of the rigors of flying commercial.

RichardVeilleux

Practice roster players along with players on IR definitely don't travel with CFL teams. 30 coaches? More 11 or 12. Generally speaking, no more than 75 persons, including members of the media, do travel with CFL teams.

Richard

HfxTC

I read the plane will be configured for 70 passengers. That's luxury travel compared to Tango contortion torture devices and microwaved Tim Horton sandwiches.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

300Magnum

Quote from: "RichardVeilleux"
Practice roster players along with players on IR definitely don't travel with CFL teams. 30 coaches? More 11 or 12. Generally speaking, no more than 75 persons, including members of the media, do travel with CFL teams.

Richard

The number 30 included coaches, trainers, medical staff, equipment staff if you care to read just a bit more carefully.

As for PR players........what happens if someone gets hurt or sick, so yes teams do take PR players and IR players especially the star players do travel.  A prime example is if a QB is injured and he is often shown on the sidelines working with the other QBs.

Hope that explains everything more clearly for you Dick.

300Magnum

Quote from: "HfxTC"
I read the plane will be configured for 70 passengers. That's luxury travel compared to Tango contortion torture devices and microwaved Tim Horton sandwiches.

Bare bones,

46 players
10 coaching staff
1 GM
12 Support Staff, (Equipment, video,therapists)
1 Doctor

70 seems pretty light.

HfxTC

Quote from: "300Magnum"
Quote from: "HfxTC"

Bare bones,

46 players
10 coaching staff
1 GM
12 Support Staff, (Equipment, video,therapists)
1 Doctor

70 seems pretty light.

A full economy is 130 seats, full VIP is 44 seats so this is right in the middle so my guess is two wide instead of three but probably not full reclining loungers but 70 business class width seats with a some leg room is quite nice . RO would know.

EastVanMark

Quote from: "Lyle B. Style"
David Thompson, the Toronto based billionaire is also partners with Mark Shenkarow in the Jets so his heft allows the Jets to use a charter aircraft! :cowboy:

I think your getting your Jets ownership eras mixed up  :lol:

On another note, does this airline offer regular flights too? Cause Grey Cup flights on the "big 2" are getting ridiculous.

brianjoxx

Another small savings for the team will be paying the per diem for each player of IIRC $115 each.

Looking at the players, 46 + practice roster of 10 and any IR players that may travel with the team along with probably 30 coaches, trainers, spotters, medical staff and equipment staff, a team could easily be looking at upwards of 90 individuals.

Winning is the goal of all teams and travel sometimes plays havoc with a teams schedule and having their own charter allows for them to sit comfortably and not have to go through airport security and have their own schedule instead of being at the mercy of flying commercial.

If a team has a game on Saturday, they fly out Friday at a time to arrive to meet the media obligations and fly directly home after the game.

This certainly could give them a competitive advantage on the road instead of the rigors of flying commercial.

Expensive and none competitive advantage. This will change as revenue lowers.

slimjim2

But other teams are chartering aircraft too.     They won't have an advantage over Ottawa since  is chartering too and flying to games on the road except Montreal.      The Als won't be flying to Ottawa either,  they will be on the train.

The team could save per diem,  hotels too,  by flying in the day of the game and flying out after the game,  no need to hang around the next day waiting for a scheduled flight. :)

tony

Quote from: "ro1313"
Quote from: "Mightygoose"
Maybe I’m reading thing wrong but I hope nobody here is trying to suggest that using a private charter as opposed to commercial is actually saving the team money?

Unless the Als have a reserve of jet fuel under Molson Stadium or they have a licensed pilot or two employed or their paying next to nothing to use the plane there’s no way I see it possible.

Otherwise, why wouldn’t have every team tried to use one when the league was nearly out of business in the 90s?

A flight from Montreal runs around 300$  Multiply that for 75 people and you are at 22,500
Then figure it’s a night game that finishes at 10:30   players gotta shower change eat, and its now too late for a flight home so they have to put up those 75 people in a hotel  for the night so you are talking another 7500 bucks

A 737-300 burns about 750 gallons of Jet A1 fuel an hour
At roughly 4 bucks a gallon that’s 3000$ an hour so a return Montreal Toronto flight will cost about 6000 for fuel.  Now lets say they triple that to cover pilots and fight attendants and maintenance so we are at 18,000
18,000 compared to 30,000….And that is if they triple the price..could be double or maybe even at cost in exchange for advertising and what not….

A 737 holds 135 people, they have 60 empty seats but due to the size of the players and the amount of equipment they have to bring....lets say 25... They can offer that to fans and bring in a few bucks more

Yeah they are saving money

Come to think of it...Last year for the final game of the season in Hamilton, they had 50 seats available on a charter that they sold for 350$  That's 17,500.   For every game they do that, it pretty much costs the team nothing

Yeah they are saving money

Will not argue the Montreal-Toronto run figure you have.
But Montreal to anywhere out west (Saskatchewan through BC), not sure about $300 a flight. I could be wrong but double that figure would be more in line.
If not, please let me know.

ro1313

Quote from: "ro1313"

Come to think of it...Last year for the final game of the season in Hamilton, they had 50 seats available on a charter that they sold for 350$  That's 17,500.   For every game they do that, it pretty much costs the team nothing

I just bought my tickets for the fan plane game to Toronto Aug 19th   Ill let you know what it was like

ro1313

Last year the fan plane was to Toronto

This year we are headed to Saskatchewan

I'm looking forward to it

PTBO Dave

Last year the fan plane was to Toronto

This year we are headed to Saskatchewan

I'm looking forward to it
Cool. How was the Toronto trip? Were there lots of Als fans?

ro1313

It was great
Flew up in the morning
Had lunch at a club at the stadium(I Can't remember the name)
We got to watch the pregame practice from the bench area
Meet and greet at the airport after the game

The previous year the fans flew back from Hamilton with the players
Last year it was separate planes
The fan plane had about 150 fans on board

This year we spend one night in Regina and fly back on Sunday

ro1313

Adding attachments has become a real PITA 

Users Online

96 Guests, 18 Users (12 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
DisplacedCatsFan, TravelPat1, FormerlyTurkish, rshmglsky, TheCrazyCatLady, ticat1, Grover, letsgoticats, bwf029, Iconic SR, Sidney, Lyle B. Style, mike2579, schmenger, Taleback, GC Bound, Google (AdSense) (6), Google (6)

Most Online Today: 164. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)