sambo42

My top three:

1. Fog
 2. Admirals
 3. Highlanders

The worst ones were Kraken, Tidalboars & Celtics  

EastVanMark

Fish sticks could be a name. 

They could be sponsored by Highliner Foods. 

The captain could be the mascot

Saskfan4life

Fish sticks could be a name.

They could be sponsored by Highliner Foods.

The captain could be the mascot
You're right, it could be a name. Will it be? No.

Saskfan4life

Reposting my own edit here, in case you missed it at the top of the article:

Poster edit: Fog ranking and score dropped. Marauders, Celtics, Leviathans, & Sea Serpents rank and scores adjusted up accordingly. Tritons critique & score added. Further edits likely as other concepts introduced. 

PS to moderator, and anyone reading, the website did not have all concepts up last I saw. All concept art being discussed here is available through the twitter account @CFLinHalifax.

I now feel compelled to add the following disclaimer- I have no formal association whatsoever to the CFL, the prospective Maritime franchise ownership group, or the agency behind the CFLinHamilton twitter account and website. I'm just a CFL fan excited about the idea of our league finally expanding to the East Coast, that wants to discuss the "fan art" proposals published via the CFLinHalifax twitter account and website.

brihind88

Someone should whip up a Schooners version of those awful Mascot Jerseys that the CFL used to sport in the 90s.

Actually, somebody shouldn’t. Those jerseys were horrible
I think it would look cool for a new team to try a new concept.

I like the idea of no logos on helmets, but the logo on the front jersey.

The for the helmet go old school with just numbers on the helmet.

DAN38

Now to Highlanders. Shouldn't I feel offended because my ancestors were Highlanders and they were forced off their land, killed, raped, pillaged and many were sold into slavery. That is the true history of the Highlanders..You can hide behind the military aspect if you want but read some history and see the real reason the Highland Regiments were formed.... I'm not that sensitive so I will not protest many because it happened a long time ago and I am able to forgive. It is a great name though. They definitely have to create their own tartan. It should be unique, not a copy of anything already existing. Too many clan battles will ensue. ;D
Not to worry, Dan. There are many sensitive, well-educated, elitists to protest for you, since you clearly don't fully grasp the implications of how Anglo-colonial privilege is oppressing you and your people.  :P
   Well, thank you Dave, I feel much better now. ;D

Serendipity prevails, the movie Highlander was on last night....My logic won't let me hold a grudge against innocent people here today because of what their ancestors did. I wish MORE people would realize that way of thinking...However, I do not hold Oliver Cromwell in high esteem as the English do. He's more like a sadistic mass murderer in my eyes. No, I don't read the glossed over version of English history. I like eyewitness accounts better !...One thing that does bug me is seeing the royal family dancing around in kilts. It's like the great grandson of Hitler singing 'If I Were A Rich Man' and wearing a yarmulke. True history should not be twisted to fool future generations. When history is falsely rewritten, it is always to hide past sins.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

Mark

NOT the Privateers.

Think about the short form....
If they had a bad game they would be the Privys.
After a bad season they would be in the toilet.... etc....etc.

c-way-dude

Moderator Edit: All of these designs can be viewed at https://cflinhalifax.com/ .

Poster edit: Fog ranking and score dropped. Marauders, Celtics, Leviathans, & Sea Serpents rank and scores adjusted up accordingly. Tritons critique & score added. Further edits likely as other concepts introduced.

PS to moderator, and anyone reading, the website did not have all concepts up last I saw. All concept art being discussed here is available through the twitter account @CFLinHalifax.

I now feel compelled to add the following disclaimer- I have no formal association whatsoever to the CFL, the prospective Maritime franchise ownership group, or the agency behind the CFLinHamilton twitter account and website. I'm just a CFL fan excited about the idea of our league finally expanding to the East Coast, that wants to discuss the "fan art" proposals published via the CFLinHalifax twitter account and website.

By now, we've probably all checked out the CFLinHalifax twitter account that has been posting team name and uniform ideas for the future Maritime CFL team. Some of the concepts are great, some, not so much. Here are my brief thoughts on each design, from worst to best:

Fog. Cool concept. As a minor and high school football official, the two not too far off from each other shades of grey fading into each other would drive me nuts! "What number was that?" Fans in the nosebleed section seats would probably have the same reaction. 2.5/10.

Maybe they could work in pewter, like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, to make the jersey numbers stand out.

canadianfootballfan

I really like the Halifax Admirals or Armada, since it's a Navy town.

HamiltonBorn1957

How's aboot the Atlantic Bluenosers eh?

FootbalYouBet

Maritime Tenors (as in tenth team)
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

There are people out there who just will not be happy until they have created sentient AI.

PTBO Dave

How's aboot the Atlantic Bluenosers eh?
I actually prefer this to the more generic Schooners.

DAN38

Bluenose- not original at all. It was originally an insult but has come to be a term of endearment. It does also mean someone from Nova Scotia and therefore excludes the other three Atlantic provinces. The location of Halifax will be isolating enough, we don't need the added factor of an isolating name...Atlantic Bluenoser is a misnomer which would really mean 'Atlantic person from Nova Scotia'.

Aerial

"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

flutie

I really like the Halifax Admirals or Armada, since it's a Navy town.
How about naming after a Naval vessel -  the "Destroyers"  
Also "Privateers"  have a strong link with Halifax.   

But the name "schooners"  was registered by the ownership group.

Users Online

77 Guests, 6 Users (9 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, oo DAWG oo, 6ft6ofgoodness, pdson2, Google (AdSense) (4), Google (5)

Most Online Today: 376. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)