diehardesks

http://canoe.com/sports/football/cfl/jones-new-grey-cup-era-ushered-with-elimination-of-money-grab/wcm/16aa44ba-9a73-43d0-9631-f27fdf5e5023
The dispersal of profits will be entirely different now.
“There will be a sharing of the proceeds,” said Ambrosie. “After the covering of costs there is a percentage that will go to the host, because they’re the ones doing the work, then there’s a percentage that will go to the other teams. Previously all of the proceeds went to the host team.
Well, well, yet again Alberta has to support the rest of Canada. Thanks Ambrosie....

jonesy

http://canoe.com/sports/football/cfl/jones-new-grey-cup-era-ushered-with-elimination-of-money-grab/wcm/16aa44ba-9a73-43d0-9631-f27fdf5e5023
“There will be a sharing of the proceeds,” said Ambrosie. “After the covering of costs there is a percentage that will go to the host, because they’re the ones doing the work, then there’s a percentage that will go to the other teams. Previously all of the proceeds went to the host team.
Well, well, yet again Alberta has to support the rest of Canada. Thanks Ambrosie....
So the league is going to take the profits and disperse to the other teams and probably keep a chunk for themselves.

For most of the new millennium the Grey Cup has been a major heist by the host city, in many cases to make up for losses incurred by owner and to get individual teams out of the hole.

Probably means that eastern teams will think twice about hosting a Grey Cup.    Bob Young lost money on the Tiger Cats over many years and he finally gets a chance to host and his profits will be dispersed to other teams?   At least in cities with big stdiums like Edmonton they don't have to spend a million dollars on putting up temporary bleachers for the GC.

Mightygoose

The flip side, is Bob Young will get a little bit of extra revenue with other teams hosting, which will off-set them (or any eastern) have some revenues go to the other teams when they host.

This makes having a successful Grey Cup be a priority for all 9 (maybe 10) teams as opposed to the old provincial style 'me first' way of thinking that's been holding this league back for so long.

Iconic SR

If an Alberta team is in the Cup, I guess. We still have an entire season to play first. If not, then it will be many more outsiders attending too. 

c-way-dude

Not that it's likely to happen, but the new Grey Cup revenue sharing would remove the argument that a potential Halifax team's ownership would personally benefit too much from the city hosting multiple Grey Cups (say 3 over a 6 or 7 year period), while it would still allow the local and provincial governments to recoup some of the investment made in a stadium.   Attaching events to the construction of sports facilities make it an easier sell for politicians wanting to invest tax dollars in those facilities.

Mr. Pike

Over 51,000 sold according to cfl.ca

Cool

Over 51,000 sold according to cfl.ca
Good to hear!
Pull Together everyone

EastVanMark

Historically I don't think the west has had much trouble (if any) selling out the GC games.
1999 wasn't a good year in Vancouver.  It was Hamilton vs. Calgary - so Alberta was close, and there was only 45,118.  BC Place held 59,000+ back then.
Was it an economic thing back then?
1990 look at the wide shots of the upper deck.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL7StqvN3To
86 to 90 were bad times.Doug Mitchell,Bill Baker,Don Crump and Norm Kwong kept this thing alive.
Mitchell, Baker and Kwong maybe,  but Crump was absolutely horrible as Commissioner. Almost singlehandedly killed off the Grey Cup whose standing took almost a decade to correct  

brianjoxx

Historically I don't think the west has had much trouble (if any) selling out the GC games.
1999 wasn't a good year in Vancouver.  It was Hamilton vs. Calgary - so Alberta was close, and there was only 45,118.  BC Place held 59,000+ back then.
Was it an economic thing back then?
1990 look at the wide shots of the upper deck.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL7StqvN3To
86 to 90 were bad times.Doug Mitchell,Bill Baker,Don Crump and Norm Kwong kept this thing alive.
Mitchell, Baker and Kwong maybe,  but Crump was absolutely horrible as Commissioner. Almost singlehandedly killed off the Grey Cup whose standing took almost a decade to correct  

What a great video. Thanks. Went to the last 2 grey cups in Vancouver, Mostly full with great presentation. Lots of fun. Thinking 2020 goes their. 50,000 fans can't be too bad. Cheers

97valkyrie

I think, technically, it is called "Equalization payments", heh, heh, heh!

97valkyrie

I think, technically, it is called "Equalization payments", heh, heh, heh!
I was just joking....Myself, In the case of the CFL, I think it is a good thing....all the 9 teams are financially invested in making the GC a success..With this in place GC's in TO or VAN and others, could become a success!

Users Online

75 Guests, 24 Users (15 Spiders, 6 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
stevehvh, sportsfan100, ticats4242ticats, Iconic SR, FormerlyTurkish, rcon, djrobertson2017, hendy77, VICIOUSCIRCLE, Ferg, rhymes with orange, Taleback, SeaFiddle, Mightygoose, RBFan2014, chosa84, Hammertown Proud, Dexter, Google (AdSense) (6), Google (9)

Most Online Today: 201. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)