brianjoxx

By 5 p.m. yesterday Edmonton 2018 Grey Cup organizing committee executive director Vienneau reported the total had reached 47,200.

At 7:17 p.m they rang the cowbells in the Eskimos office as they did all day, every time they hit a round number. The total had reached 48,000.

That made it more than 10,000 in five hours and fewer than 7,000 remaining.

In 2010, the attendance ended up at 63,317. This will be the first Grey Cup here since the new, wider, green and gold seats were installed. The new stadium capacity is 55,818.

Mr. Pike

By 5 p.m. yesterday Edmonton 2018 Grey Cup organizing committee executive director Vienneau reported the total had reached 47,200.

At 7:17 p.m they rang the cowbells in the Eskimos office as they did all day, every time they hit a round number. The total had reached 48,000.

In 2010, the attendance ended up at 63,317. This will be the first Grey Cup here since the new, wider, green and gold seats were installed. The new stadium capacity is 55,818.
Yes indeed , I started trying to buy at 2 pm mountain time or 4 eastern when they went on sale , I did not complet my transaction till 10 PM last night due to the demand that tied  up ticketmaster .

Anyways, I was able to score  four decent ones at very reasonable price .... amazing how fast sales advance when the tickets are affordable .

Hank01

Love hearing positive CFL news like this one .

Cool

That's for sure (positive news).  Great sales for sure.
Pull Together everyone

jonesy

Yes indeed , I started trying to buy at 2 pm mountain time or 4 eastern when they went on sale , I did not complet my transaction till 10 PM last night due to the demand that tied  up ticketmaster .

Anyways, I was able to score  four decent ones at very reasonable price .... amazing how fast sales advance when the tickets are affordable .

Cheapest seats at $173 according to Ticketmaster.
I assume that the Esks hold back GC tickets for their season ticket holders.   They give them a cut off date and sell them.

drummer_god

http://canoe.com/sports/football/cfl/jones-new-grey-cup-era-ushered-with-elimination-of-money-grab/wcm/16aa44ba-9a73-43d0-9631-f27fdf5e5023
The dispersal of profits will be entirely different now.
“There will be a sharing of the proceeds,” said Ambrosie. “After the covering of costs there is a percentage that will go to the host, because they’re the ones doing the work, then there’s a percentage that will go to the other teams. Previously all of the proceeds went to the host team.

PTBO Dave

That sounds like very good news for the league. It should provide more cost certainty for all the teams.

I'm impressed Ambrosie was able to get the BOG on board for this.

KevinRiley2

Good news for OUR LEAGUE.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Iconic SR

Historically I don't think the west has had much trouble (if any) selling out the GC games.

canadianfootballfan

Historically I don't think the west has had much trouble (if any) selling out the GC games.
1999 wasn't a good year in Vancouver.  It was Hamilton vs. Calgary - so Alberta was close, and there was only 45,118.  BC Place held 59,000+ back then.

Iconic SR

1999 wasn't a good year in Vancouver.  It was Hamilton vs. Calgary - so Alberta was close, and there was only 45,118.  BC Place held 59,000+ back then.
Was it an economic thing back then? 

canadianfootballfan

1999 wasn't a good year in Vancouver.  It was Hamilton vs. Calgary - so Alberta was close, and there was only 45,118.  BC Place held 59,000+ back then.
Nope.  The CFL endured one of its darkest decades ever in the 90's.  The Ticats almost folded twice, and we lost Ottawa.  For me, the only ups in the 90's was the Ticat cup win in 99 and the Als coming back to Montreal when the Baltimore team from the US experiment moved to Montreal.

I went to Ticat home games in the 90's with less than 10,000, and the team had a winning record.  It was just a bad time for the league.  Let's also not forget the horrible US experiment.  The Las Vegas Posse had a home game vs the Bombers with 2,400 people, and 800 were Bomber fans that came down to see the game.

Mightygoose

The CG game in Winnipeg in 2015 as well as the one in Vancouver in 2014 had trouble selling too. 

For Vancouver it was too soon of a return plus they pieces the upper bowl seat the same as the respective lower bowl equivalent.

In Winnipeg they had to remove the seating in one end zone part way through sales and put the half time stage there instead. Never mind getting started on the disaster in Toronto a year later.

Good to see the good job in Edmonton this year along with a solid show in Ottawa last year.

It shows the ability to put on a good Grey Cup or one that's lack lusture is not limited to be in the east or west.

Also, kudos to league on having a partial share of the CG revenues after the host. It gives everyone a vested interest in each one being sucessful

Connecticut Yankee

1990 look at the wide shots of the upper deck.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL7StqvN3To
86 to 90 were bad times.Doug Mitchell,Bill Baker,Don Crump and Norm Kwong kept this thing alive.

Iconic SR

In '89 the Riders won the Grey Cup (only 2nd time in their history at the time) in one of the greatest Grey Cup games ever played - and it re-energized Riderville in no uncertain terms. This why I can't recall in detail what was happening elsewhere in the league as much.

If fans are loyal, the team weathers the good and the bad

Users Online

80 Guests, 23 Users (15 Spiders, 6 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ticats4242ticats, Iconic SR, FormerlyTurkish, rcon, djrobertson2017, stevehvh, hendy77, VICIOUSCIRCLE, Ferg, rhymes with orange, Taleback, SeaFiddle, Mightygoose, RBFan2014, chosa84, Hammertown Proud, Dexter, Google (AdSense) (6), Google (9)

Most Online Today: 201. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)