Davan

First off, thanks to Sully for approving my API key. Can't wait to start trying it out.

Ok. An introduction.  My name is Davan and I'm a CFL fan!  I am also an IT Director for an Alberta based SMB.  I found a great way to put my love of CFL and my passion for tech together.

A couple years ago I launched CFL-Fantasy.ca 

I love Fantasy Football, and I found there were very limited resources for Canadian Fantasy.  I set about to change that.

What I had been doing the last couple years is scraping the box scores from the CFL.ca website, and injecting all that data into Excel spreadsheets.  I then run a ton of crazy math and junk against all the players stats, to come up with Fantasy stats, rankings, projections and more. I even have a neat Start/Sit heatmap that has become the signature of my website.

With this API being opened up to the public, I now should be able to ditch the little app scraping box scores, and hit the CFL database directly. This API will allow me to ditch the Excel sheets in favour of SQL.  And I see this especially assisting with timeliness of posts, as I should get much closer to live stats, rather than having to wait for each game to complete before going after the box scores.

Anyways.  I invite you all to check out the site, even though it's in the middle of an off-season renovation.  It will be fully live for the season.  But in the meantime you can check out some of last year's stats and projections by navigating through the links in the footer at my site.

Hope this didn't turn into too much of a ramble. Thanks again, Sully!

Go Esks! :)

sully

Hey Davan, thanks for the post! I did check out your website just prior to approving your key and it's fascinating stuff - I'm definitely going to make use of it as I play https://cflfantasy.tsn.ca/ this upcoming season!

I had a suggestion for content for your site - I think the ultimate proof of following your projections would be if you created a user on https://cflfantasy.tsn.ca/ called CFL-Fantasy-Bot or something that strictly followed the data that you unearth. If it ends up doing really well in global rankings it kind of proves the point of your statistical approach. Otherwise it's all a bit academic, know what I mean? :)
I'm the Senior Director of Technology for the Canadian Football League. Got technology concerns/ideas for the league? E-mail me at ssyed@cfl.ca and we'll talk.

Davan

I appreciate the suggestion, Sully!  That's exactly what I did last year, only my username was just 'Davan'.  I ended up finishing Second overall in our Reddit /r/cfl league.  :)

But anyways at the end of the day, I find most Fantasy stats, projections, etc to be very subjective.  Particularly speaking of NFL, where there are hundreds of Fantasy anaylsts, and projections from Week to Week can be all over the map.  Some people subscribe to a stats-based approach, some look at history, trends, some use their heart.

... For pick-em style Fantasy, the Salary Cap is a variable that I don't really account for in my weekly articles.  I'm really hoping for a return of a commissioner-based Fantasy game but if that's not the case this year, I might need to start considering a Salary Cap article.  

sully

I appreciate the suggestion, Sully!  That's exactly what I did last year, only my username was just 'Davan'.  I ended up finishing Second overall in our Reddit /r/cfl league.  :)

But anyways at the end of the day, I find most Fantasy stats, projections, etc to be very subjective.  Particularly speaking of NFL, where there are hundreds of Fantasy anaylsts, and projections from Week to Week can be all over the map.  Some people subscribe to a stats-based approach, some look at history, trends, some use their heart.

... For pick-em style Fantasy, the Salary Cap is a variable that I don't really account for in my weekly articles.  I'm really hoping for a return of a commissioner-based Fantasy game but if that's not the case this year, I might need to start considering a Salary Cap article.  
We've actually been communicating with another Redditor who's build a head-to-head fantasy game using the CFL API; it should be a go for the start of the 2018 season. So there'll be an option though it won't be "official". I'm curious as to how it'll do.

Davan

I've heard rumours of the same. I need to get in touch with them to find out what their default scoring system is going to be.  If they're the only commissioner-based game in town, I'd like to match my model to their scoring system. :)

Users Online

71 Guests, 5 Users (7 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
FootbalYouBet, Lyle B. Style, Niagara Als, SeaFiddle, jkm, Google (7)

Most Online Today: 141. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)