FootbalYouBet

I could be perfectly happy with Toronto and BC leaving the CFL.  Put a team in Halifax as the CFL's 8th team as Toronto and BC leave.

Toronto and BC would make great sites for NFL expansion teams...either brand new teams or existing teams that want to move to those two cities.

Your own Simon Fraser University plays the 11-man game.  Give your own people what they want.

P.S. Simon Fraser is not to be confused with the sitcom Frasier.

thems fightin words. heresy, pure heresy.

Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

I don't think I am always right, it just keeps turning out that way

pastasteve

Hi there to those who actuallyread these... I agree with Patcarm.  I grew up in Vancouver in the 60's and 70's - a die-hard fan of the Lions and the CFL brand.  You're spot-on about the demographics change.  Soccer appeals far more to the existing and growing populous, and I don't think there's a majic marketing solution to win a significant fan base over unless you're willing to risk experimenting by changing the game itself, which I think will never happen.  It is time to face the music.  It's just a matter of time before BC and TO are x-nay'd from the league.  Halifax and Moncton are far less multicultural, and I think might offer the best alternative markets.  I've thought about Kelowna as well as an alternative site for the Lions, even Langley.  Langley is less multicultural, more accessible to Valley folk (huge fan base); and the Golden Ears bridge offers quick access to Burnaby, Coquitlam Maple Ridge fans.  BC Place is rapidly becoming the Whitecaps Domain, and BMO the TO FC domain.  IT IS WHAT IT IS!  The longer we keep our heads in the sand, pretending those markets can be resurrected, tye more it hirts the leaugue.  How?  Poor support breeds the perception of failure.  NOT GOOD.  Time to move forward...  

beaglehound

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this having the Lions move to Kelowna notion.    I'd like to hear more and why some think that is even a viable alternative.  I might be missing something here.

FootbalYouBet

I think it would be no better to move the lions away from Vancouver, but I have thought for a few years now that the Argos would do better in Markham.

beaglehound

Can't comment about the Argos moving FYB.  But I simply cannot phathom the B.C. Lions being anywhere else other than Vancouver. 
What I'd like to see is a 25000-30000 seat capacity stadium for Lions and Whitecap games.  And I'd like it to be an outdoor stadium just like old Empire Stadium.  I'd even prefer real grass.   I really think something was lost when Empire Stadium was retired. 

Having the Lions playing in a 60 000 seat capacity stadium just makes no sense. Especially during the lean years where only 17 000 fans are showing up.    Smaller stadiums filled to capacity makes more sense to me.  If you look at the stats sometime, attendance for Lions games over the since the clubs beginnings has not change very much and has been around 27 000 on average year to year.  In my opinion BC Place is nothing but a white elephant and the 3/4 of a billions spent to upgrade was a complete waste of money. 

FootbalYouBet

Can't comment about the Argos moving FYB.  But I simply cannot phathom the B.C. Lions being anywhere else other than Vancouver.
What I'd like to see is a 25000-30000 seat capacity stadium for Lions and Whitecap games.  And I'd like it to be an outdoor stadium just like old Empire Stadium.  I'd even prefer real grass.   I really think something was lost when Empire Stadium was retired.

Having the Lions playing in a 60 000 seat capacity stadium just makes no sense. Especially during the lean years where only 17 000 fans are showing up.    Smaller stadiums filled to capacity makes more sense to me.  If you look at the stats sometime, attendance for Lions games over the since the clubs beginnings has not change very much and has been around 27 000 on average year to year.  In my opinion BC Place is nothing but a white elephant and the 3/4 of a billions spent to upgrade was a complete waste of money.
Not sure about the economics or if it is better for football, but the stadium can be much better and potentially worth it if they fill it up enough for other events.

beaglehound

Not sure about the economics or if it is better for football, but the stadium can be much better and potentially worth it if they fill it up enough for other events.
The Lions and the Whitecaps are the primary tenants of BC Place. I don't know what the rent is that the Lions pay to host CFL games.  My thinking is that there was the expectation that after the $750 million dollar upgrade it would translate into increased attendance at the games. If this was the plan it has clearly backfired.  
The stadium is a beautiful stadium with all of the upgrading completed.  I've no complaints about that.   I just don't think  a team that historically on a good night might attract a max of 30000 should be playing in a 60000 capacity stadium. In the past few years I've been to games where there are 40000 empty seats. It looks terrible and a picture as they say is worth a thousand words.

What I find interesting FYB is when I occasionally tune in to an NFL game where seating capacity is is 75000+ the stadium looks sold out.  Every seat appears to be occupied. 

Users Online

102 Guests, 16 Users (15 Spiders, 5 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
safetyblitz, Mightygoose, bowl450, GHT120, ExPat, Grover, Corey.the.tiger, jim43bob, heapbag, ticatbill, FootbalYouBet, Google (AdSense) (10), Google (5)

Most Online Today: 179. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)